Are Leather Chaps Gay?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by coronet, Jun 19, 2008.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I figured chaps would be nice, since I plan on riding the bike to work, and polyester of wool pants are going to rip right through in a fall. I figured some leather chaps would be nice. But are they a little too gay to be riding around in them? Anyone have another suggestion for what to do in my situation?

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

get an Aerostich suit or similar, zips on over your normal clothing and provides damn good protection.

3. squid

squid braap

+1 on Aerostich

Or MX shinguards under jeans, and good boots.

Chaps are for wearing to West Hollywood clubs and for old fat guys to wear on their monthly rides to Neptune's Net.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

Chaps are not gay..........until you step off the bike. If you walk around in them there's no way to not look gay.

5. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Have a pair of 12" boots coming, not opposed to shin gaurds, either. My only concern is how much of a protectant is denim? Can a premium heavy duty denim protect over, say, the cheap thinly cut denims from lower priced stores?

Also going to check out suits. My concern is I'm going to get a jacket as well, but if it means wearing a full suit, and then wearing a bike suit over that... so be it. Safe than sorry, mate.

6. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Get a good pair of riding pants, they will hold up well enough in the event of a drop. I've heard that jeans are bad for protection, as the denim grabs the asphalt and can make you roll, and the grabbing will also tear the denim pretty fast. A good pair of riding pants (I have Joe Rocket Ballistic Series pants) will slide instead of grab and tear. The Rockets that I have fit over jeans, too, and I wear them when I'm riding somewhere that I don't want to wear full gear once I'm there.