Are HDs plug and play-ish?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

My buddies MB/PSU died and I'm replacing both for them. There is info on the HD that they want to keep. I'm assuming with a new MB a format will be required but before that can I plug it into my comp and copy the info off of it? Or will windows try to boot off of that one? Oh and yes its an internal HD.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Yes, for most parts. As long as the second drive is never set to the primary drive. Once the drive is plugged in go to the bios and make sure that the other drive is still set to boot to. Although I have seen times where a master boot record was damaged just by putting an HDD in someone elses system. Generally it should be fine.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The BIOS will try to boot off any device you tell it to try to boot from. If the option to "Boot from other devices" is enabled, it will try every drive connected to the computer, as well as the LAN, before giving up.

Just make sure the DVD drive is set to a higher priority than any of the hard drives, so you can boot up from the Windows CD and install it to whichever drive you want.