GUN Are guns really the problem?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Small Block LSX, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

If you look at recent crime statistics it tends to show otherwise. Half (50%) of convicted jail inmates were under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time the crime was committed. Of those inmates 31% states that their parent(s) abused drugs or alcohol. Nearly 45% of the inmates had parents that served time in prison.

What is the common denominator here? It appears that drugs and alcohol are the root cause. When drugs are used by a parent it shows in their kids and they tend to mirror their actions later in adulthood. In 2001, 49% of inmates were serving time resulting from violent crimes.

Now, are guns really the cause of the problem? Wouldn't being tougher on drugs and alcohol be a better option to curbing violent behavior?

It is amazing that everybody points at the instrument that was used in a crime versus the person who is using the instrument. Fucking bullshit.

Anyways, here is my source, Bereau of Justice Statistics.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#findings

2. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

It all ties to personal responsbility. People don't want to admit that there are actually bad people in the world. I don't blame the drugs either. I blame the person, it was their drug usage, their desire to commit a crime, thier weakness to deal with their own problems that lead them to commit the crime. People look for an inatimate object to blame, you can't ban insanity, but you can ban (or try to) drugs, guns, gangs, etc.

3. RMarks

RMarks New Member

It's never the parents fault :noes: . If we didn't have guns, people would still be comitting murders with knives or swords or whatever the fuck they can get their hands on.

4. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Firearms are very minimal in cases, even with these percentages how many people were harmed in the offense?

Highlights include the following:

* During the offense that brought them to prison, 15% of State inmates and 13% of Federal inmates carried a handgun, and about 2%, a military-style semiautomatic gun.
    * On average, State inmates possessing a firearm received sentences of 18 years, while those without a weapon had an average sentence of 12 years.
    * Among prisoners carrying a firearm during their crime, 40% of State inmates and 56% of Federal inmates received a sentence enhancement because of the firearm.

5. P7

P7 You have something on your tongue, let me get that

Drug and alcohol?:ugh:

It's video games and TV moran.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The war on drugs is part of the problem, how many billions of dollars have we flushed away on it? Lets face it people have been getting fucked up since the begining of time no matter how much we throw at it we'll never win it. Legalizing and taxing it would be a much better alternative then put all the money we've been using fighting it into education.

7. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Drugs aren't the problem either. Drugs are just a scapegoat used by conservatives like guns are used by liberals. The real problems are poverty and shitty education, but neither party wants to do anything meaningful to address those.

8. Small Block LSX

I understand what everybody is saying. I may need to rephrase what my intent was.

Like someone already said people have been doing what we consider "drugs" since the beginning of time. Most drugs that these criminals were using are considered illegal (with the exception of alcohol). Now, if these drugs are illegal the criminals are still using. Now, how would banning guns curb this violence? The trend is that even if it is illegal the criminals will still find a way to use (drugs) or get their hands on weapons.

Whether guns are irradicated or not criminals will start using knives, batons, pencils, etc. to commit a crime. Are those items going to eventually get banned as well?

Nobody wants to look at the fact that as a society of a large population there are going to be mentally unstable people who get their hands on firearms. We need to start educating people more and put our resources where it counts the most.

9. t1h

t1h Guest

the real problem is shitty parents

10. Small Block LSX

:werd:

How much money does the government make on sales tax for alcohol? How much could they potentially make on street use marijuana or medical marijuana?

The additional new "found" money would be insane. I am willing to bet it would rival automobile or electronic sales nationwide.

11. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

MF WERD

I honestly believe this is the root of the problem.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I've tried a couple drugs and drink often... never had any urges to go off and start killing innocent (or even guilty) people. :dunno:

In fact, it's just the opposite for me, I have the urge to help people in a time of need, and pray that I'm there at the right time to be that person to help them.

Now of course I don't go LOOKING for people in need, technically they're everywhere, but I would act if I needed to.

13. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

QFT!!!

I was in Taco Bell today and someone came in that (from what I overheard) used to work there. She's talking to some lady behind the counter. The lady asks how she's been doing. She replies that she's doing well and that she got her driver's licence and is car shopping. :coolugh: Then the lady ask how her daughter is doing? :ugh: WTF?!?!?!! Just got her drivers licence and she has a kid?!?!??! :ugh2:

But yeah... drugs and videogames are the problem...

14. Slick26

After reading all that, I still don't understand how you're equating having children and not having a license to shitty parenting.
    My point is that lots of moms don't drive. My wife doesn't have a driver's license yet... but that's just because she's not from here.
    She's working on it though.... slowly working on it. Very slowly.

15. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

i think he meant that the parent was 16. and that 16 is way too young to be able to be a responsible parent.

i agree that parenting is the problem. punish your kids early on in life, and they learn that there are rules in society that must be followed. spare the rod, spoil the child, and all of the sudden you have kids running around making trouble, without realization or fear of consequences. of course, if parents aren't even there, ie too busy doing drugs and causing trouble, the problem is even worse.

16. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

Exactly... her problem with getting her licence wasn't because she wasn't from around here. It was because she was 16 or so.

The point being is that being a good parent is REALLY hard and a 16 year old that just got her licence and just quit her Taco Bell job probably isn't up to the task.

17. Slick26

Ok, I understand now. I never read anywhere in there that she was 16, but now I see what you were getting at.