Are GSXRs still the best overally used Sportbikes?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ep, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Ep

Ep Guest

Back when I wanted a bike in highschool, I read in a few places that the 98+ Gsxrs were the best used 600s you could get. Yeah the CBR had a better transmission and was more user friendly, and the R6 was more race ready, but the GSXR was made out to be the best handling, plenty of speed, and extremely reliable. If I were to pick up a bike, it sure as hell wouldn't be an 08 so it would something used. Hopefully a 2000+ GSXR. Your opinions? thanks

2. Ep

Ep Guest

oh and sorry about the title. I meant to say "Best OVERALL used sportsbike"

3. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

They're so close in reliability and performance these days, it's more of a personal preference.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Unless you are an expert racer, it's not going to matter even if you are going to race on the weekends. Get what feels better to you. Used is a crap shoot when it comes to reliability with sportbikes which are usually abused even if they look pristine so just go into a deal expecting to do work on it. If you don't have to, great.

5. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

yeah in the last few years they've all gotten so bada ass that you need to get whats comfortable for you what loods good to you and expect to do somework i mean if they are rock solid on the maintenence you shouldn't have too many problems other that clutch, 2nd gear or brakes just find out how well they kept up on that thats the most important

6. Ep

Ep Guest

That is with the newer bikes though. Back in the late 90s, IMO kawasaki wasn't up to par yet. Honda and kawasaki have just recently come out with impressive bikes (they are finally all around FAST and reliable now), where as the GSXR has always been looked highly upon. Being that I'll only be spending 3 grand, I won't be getting any decent bike unless it's pre 2005. If I were to finance a new bike, I would have a gsxr750 hands down

7. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

If your age bracket is 00-05 I'd look for bikes like a CBR600F4i or CBR600RR, 03+ R6, 01+ GSXR or 03+ ZX6R (636), all of which are EFI.

8. Ep

Ep Guest

thanks man. 01 Gsxr sounds good to me. The r6 is great, but the least comfortable and almost TOO track ready I heard (considering this will be more a streetbike)

9. ZxHunteR

ZxHunteR New Member

Track ready meaning it has no torque. Other than that the yamahas aren't any more track ready than any other bike.

The only thing the gsxr has over any of the others is the companies ability to cut corners in order to win the shoot outs. Everything else is gixxer hype.

10. Ep

Ep Guest

Then why was it voted the best used bike? By a non biased HUGE Uk magazine?

the r6 is the least comfortable.. the cbr is probably the most comfortable

11. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

go sit on a bike and see how it feels, they're all pretty much the same otherwise

12. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

13. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

yeah i know what you mean i do love the new gsxr 750 and 600's i kinda want the white and baby blue 600 they're putting out soo sooo soooooo sick im love but i've always loves the i beleive 02ish fat headlighted gsx-r's would love to have one as a stunter

14. ericande

ericande Active Member

All the HUGE magazines are biased. The 'best' used bike depends on the exact year you want and what you are going to do with it (track, street, commute...) They are all close in performance but feel very, very different, so just try them till you like them.

15. Ep

Ep Guest

okay fair enough.. It will be a street bike, and depending if I ever have the cash, I'd love to hit a track just for fun

16. ericande

ericande Active Member

Ok if your budget is around $3k I'd look at the '03 or '04 6r (636) first if you can find one, it has noticeably more torque than the others in it's class. Next I'd look for an '03+ R6, just a great bike. You MAY be able to find a salvage title '05 or '06 GSXR 600 for that price that is in great shape still. If you go this route make sure you know what you're looking for or have a friend who does help you. Depending on where you live and who you know these are easy to find or very difficult.

Personally, I don't like the F4i's too much and first gen CBR600s are kind of a slouch compared to their competition.