Are good mornings the best focused lower back excercise?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Buzz Killington, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

background:

I have had two lumbar laminectomies/discectomies. In english, that means I have two discs which have been scoped out (think: empty jelly donut) and which have had nearby bone removed so as not to interfere with nerves.

I have finally gotten the discipline to not overdo my back while working out and have been making great progress at the gym. Instead of walking hunched over like Quasimodo after back days, I am now mostly just sore.

I want to focus on my lower back muscles to protect my spine from further injury/nerve damage. I have a very aggressive ab routine I do to strengthen my core. Are good mornings the most focused excercise I can do for my lower back? If so, would you recommend standing or seated (I have a feeling seated will be less of an overall strain on my back). The only other thing I do which could also be working my lower back is squats on leg day and seated rows on back/shoulder day.

Thank you :love:

2. TZ

TZ Banned

how about deadlifts

3. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Did your physical therapist have any suggestions?

4. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I think you are better off doing deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, and back extensions. Almost every single person that I saw doing a goodmorning did them wrong.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'd say stay away from the good mornings. 45* Back raises, back extensions, and SLDL (with the emphasis kept on the lower back).

You should also look into some Deca... I'm sure your doctor could write you a prescription givin your history

6. Buzz Killington

I do SDLs but my recent reading indicates that benefits to the lower back are secondary.

7. Buzz Killington

I did PT before (which utterly failed) and both surgeons basically told me I was SOL and to do a bunch of gay stretches which do nothing to build muscle and to protect me. I'm feeling the best I have felt (since being cut open) & am the strongest by completely ignoring their stupid advice.

Yes, I am bitter :o

8. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Be carefull still. Make sure you keep your lower back straight when doing any of these excersises. But like both maine and I said, stay away from goodmornings.

9. Buzz Killington

y1997/Maine, thanks for the recommendations, I will check those out.

With respect to Deca, what would be the reasoning there? Simply to build muscle/reduce inflammation? BTW I am speaking of a "clinical" reason to use with a doc, not the obvious fortunate benefits to having a scrip for it :o

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

1) Stay away from good mornings. People seem to have a difficult time doing them correctly, and the margin for error here is VERY large. Given your history with back problems, I wouldn't even consider these, regardless of how confident you are in doing them correctly.

2) SLDL's are good, but are primarily for hams more than your lower back. I like them though because they do hit your lower back, and at the same time blast the fuck out of your hams.

3) I would really talk to a Physical Therapist that knows what they doing... Namely, a sports therapist. A lot of the hospital therapists will say weight training is a no-no, and just do stretches... and they are correct in saying this to an extent.
    Many people are stupid and jump back into lifting and make their injury worse. However, if you nurse the injury properly and get back into weight training slowly then you are ok (assuming you use proper weight and form). Go to a sports therapist that is fimiliar with weight training as a form of therapy and have a discussion about what lower back exercises are ok to utilize.

Your injury sounds serious, and the last thing you want is to make it worse. I messed up my back and when it started feeling better I stupidly jumped into heavy squats and hurt it even worse. I spent the next 3 weeks on meds and laying around on my ass.

Be smart about it and check your ego at the door.

11. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

inflammation reduction and reduction of joint pain.

I know two people with degenerative joint disease/syndrome/whateverthefuck and they both have scripts for Deca and love it.

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I think I was on this stuff when I hurt my back the second time around.

It was used to reduce the inflammation that was putting stress on the nerves in my back and causing a lot of lower body pain.

People actually use that stuff regularly on a daily basis?

13. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Known more commonly as "Deca," deca-durabolin is an injectable steroid with a long and relatively positive history. It has been used to effectively treat HIV+ and AIDS and is known as a phenomenal steroid for building muscle mass. Deca is often used in combination with other steroids such as Tren this is made possible by the use of Dostinex which allows these two anabolics to be used together [even at the same time] without worries about hormones such as testosterone getting thrown way off balance.Nandrolone Decanoate, aka “Deca” is the brand name for the Organon produced product, first made available in the early 80’s. “Deca” is therefore just a brand name, although currently, the black market slang is to call any Nandrolone product with the Decanoate ester “Deca.” It’s a progestin, made by removing the carbon atom at the 19th position of the steran nucleus.

As a result, although it’s a progestin, Nandrolone doesn’t produce many purely estrogenic side effects, so it has been a favorite in many cutting and bulking cycles over the last couple of decades. Deca has a very low rate of aromatization (metabolic conversion to estrogen via the aromatase enzyme), equal to 20% the rate of Testosterone.

One of the really interesting properties about Deca is its ability to improve collagen synthesis (1) and bone mineral content (2), which is a huge help to athletes with connective tissue problems or other joint issues. Also, possibly due to its being a progestin, it may have beneficial effects on the immune mediated anti-inflammatory process, thereby soothing joints.

Deca is one of the few steroids which has been used successfully in AIDS patients to stimulate weight gain (3)(4)(5), and this effect has been experienced in many athletes and bodybuilders as well. Deca is both a very nice steroid for cutting and bulking cycles, although the shorter estered version of it, Nandrolone Phenylpropionate, is a more popular version to use for cutting cycles.

This brings up the fact that Deca has a very long active life, and therefore, injections are typically spaced apart by a week, regardless of total dose. Also owing to this fact, Deca is typically used for a period of no less than ten weeks, and usually for 12 weeks.

Both supply as well as demand for Deca is high, and this makes it a relatively inexpensive product when buying from an underground lab, but not when purchasing from a human grade supplier or pharmacy. Up to $10 per amp is common, while $75-100 is the average price for a ten milliliter bottle, dosed at 200-300 mgs/ml.

References:

1. Metabolism. 1990 Nov;39(11):1167-9
    2. Effects of nandrolone decanoate on bone mineral content R, Righi GA, Turchetti V, Vattimo A.).

3. AIDS. 1996 Jun;10(7):745-52
    4.Sattler et al. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283: e1214-22
    5. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1999 Feb 1;20(2):137-46.

14. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Hmmmmm.....

Mine was not an injectable steriod though, it was oral.

Must have been something different.

15. Buzz Killington

Rock on :x: :o :mamoru:

16. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yeah, just get AIDS and you're set :rofl:

17. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

increase in water and synovial fluid, as well.

18. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

wtf? Maine's going all pubmed on us.

19. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

if nobody has said it yet, Hyper extensions and reverse hyper extensions are excellent lower back focused excercises.

20. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yeah, I left reverse hypers out because most people don't have access to a reverse hyper machine. But if you do, they are one of the best things you can do for your back.

Pic for reference:
    [​IMG]

However, there are many ways to jerry rig a reverse hyper

21. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

yea i've never had opportunity to try reverse. i like regular hypers too. and you can easily rig those by laying on a table/chair and something to put your feet under.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.