are DVI cables worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fireal20, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Fireal20

Fireal20 1.125 games away :wtc:

right now im running component cables from my hd cable box to my samsung dlp. are dvi cables going to make enough of a difference to justify the $?

2. 04

04 Guest

How much more is the DVI cable?

DVI is technically better, but that doesnt necessarily mean you will see a difference.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Well DVI allows for a fully digital transmission to your television...vs component is analog. So it goes digital from your hd tuner to analog, then back from analog to digital. Basically you'll get a cleaner picture from DVI. I have my HD tuner setup though HDMI, and its awesome.

4. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

someone give me a low down on all the connection possiblities as there are so many now a days. I've got DVI for my computer monitor, didn't know the same connection was for home theater also now.

Correct my hierarchy...

RCA < Component < DVI

I know my setup back home uses "optical" for the DVD player, where does that fit in here? Is there any connection better then DVI right now? Also, what is the equivalent audio connection for DVI?

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

HDMI>DVI>COMPONENT>S-VIDEO>COMPOSITE

Optical is digital audio output or input. Used mostly on DVD players, and HD cable boxes to run audio in the highest possible quality to your receiver. It keeps it all digital like DVI and HDMI do for video.

Optical uses fiber optics? to transfer the data between the dvd player and receiver. You can also use Digital Coax..that doesn't use fiber optics, but I don't know if its as good as optical.

HDMI is >DVI for the fact that it carries audio and video in the same digital connection. Video quality is the same between the two, just that hdmi carries audio so its one less cable to hook up.

6. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Would the audio/video quality of HDMI be any better then running DVI for video and Optical for audio?

7. 04

04 Guest

It should be the same.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Yeah, but the HDMI cable would be going to amonitor. The monitor won't decode 5.1 since its stereo, and almost all tvs have only RCA audio out. The only way it could work digitally is HDMI from dvd player to TV, which has HD tuner built in...b/c then it should have optical, or digital coax out..which you could then run to your receiver...but why would you do that when you could just run an optical cable from your dvd player to your receiver. I just run optical from the tuner to the receiver...HDMI is alright if you don't want your receiver on, and still want sound....without running a bunch of cables, while watching standard television.