GUN Are DPMS AR15s junk like some people say?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mugatu, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I'm still looking around for a cheap AR. I will be building my own eventually but until then I want something just to shoot around for fun.

I have friends who say DPMS is garbage and they seem to hate them on officer.com - question is, my local gun store had a plain-jane flattop for $599 today.

Is it worth it? Are they really that bad?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/

Thanks.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I think DPMS AR are pretty good. In fact I think the DPMS lo pro reciever is one of the better ones on the market because they have more metal on the left hand side (opposite ejection port). Many AR recievers are paper thin in this area.

There are some questions of mil spec this or that on DPMS rifles as well a bushmaster. I really don't care anything about that nonsense. There are also some concerns about how well the key on the bolt is staked. I would say if this is a concern you can always have a smith restake it at a later date. I've shoot plenty of bolts that have not gotten the official mall ninja approved list of bolt stakedness and they were fine. Of course the bolts in my personal rifles were bone stock generic type which I would prefer not to be staked as I have my ar smith lighten the carrier, polish all the rails, true the key, and stake properly.

3. Mugatu

Well I heard so much bad stuff against them that I wasn't even considering them but then I saw a couple of off-duty cops buy a DPMS AR so I figured that they can't be that bad.

And anyway, I'm not using it for personal protection, just for fun.

Thanks!

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I'd probably pick one up for $599. I've been looking at their .308 rifles (not that I have the $$).

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

becareful what you hear from the various nutjobs. They would have you believe that if it didn't say colt, lmt, noveske, or larue it was garbage.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Just a thought that I have no proof behind but cerberus capital management owns dpms and bushmaster among other gun related companies. They're known for running a pretty good ship. Bushmaster is the #1 producer of ar's, dpms is number #2. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some manufacturing technique sharing going on if not some parts sharing.

7. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I was sold after seeing the TV ad :mamoru:

8. Mugatu

9. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

[y]45UMIfk16FY[/y]

Get a Stag or Rock River.

10. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

beware, IMO. not of dpms in general, i have a couple or 3 dpms lowers that i've used and they have always been good quality.

i would beware of that price tho. my local fun shop closed up about 2 months ago, but right before they closed i saw some dpms AR's in there for pretty cheap. upon inspection they had no forward assist, bayo lug, and i don't think they had the m4 feed ramps or a flash supressor, but don't quote me on that.

dpms is good quality. if you have any questions i can put you in direct contact with jason, one of their sales managers.

(btw, i am not affiliated with them in any way, i've just dealt with them a bit over the past few years.)

11. Mugatu

Thanks.

My gun shop has been around for a while so I don't think they'd pull shit like this but it is good to know.

12. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

well, they really aren't pulling any shit. it is just dpms's entry level rifle. nothing really wrong with it. i personally do not see much use for the forward assist as long as you keep your weapon clean, but it's nice to have. and a bayo lug is fairly worthless as well, other than to piss the libs off. :mamoru:

m4 feed ramps are nice, but again, not a real need for them either.

just pay attention before you buy so you don't come home and realize "shit, i bought something i didn't want". :bigthumb:

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Have any of you guys ever actually used the forward assist?

I'm trying to think.... but I can't ever remember a time when I have. If for some reason I have a jam, or situation that the bolt doesn't ride all the way forward, it always seemed counter-intuitive to try beating on the FA, potentially making the problem worse. I really don't think I'd miss one, and have been looking at some of the billet uppers that don't even come with them for a 9mm build.

14. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Beware? Pretty much all of those "issues" can be inspected without even touching the rifle. I'm pretty sure there are no factory "M4" feedramps with DPMS though.

15. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I have a DPMS and have shot est. 5,000 rounds thru it with no major trouble. a few jams and FTF . All because I let it get to dirty

16. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i have never used it, no. i wish i knew where a link was to a video of a guy whose AR wouldn't return to battery so went to bangin' on the FA and then when he fired it KABOOMED in his hands. he didn't get hurt, so i can :rofl:

17. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've known a couple people with them, they seemed ok. The .308 they make is a piece of shit though, I went to the range with my cousin after he had picked one up lots of feeding failures with several different mags.

19. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i will only comment directly on rifles that i personally own, but i find that hard to believe (not that i'm calling BS, because i am not) i'm just betting that was a fluke of some sort and that dpms will probably fix that rifle if given the chance. :bigthumb:

20. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Damn for $600 i would jump on it.

21. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

those guys want you to believe anything besides what they wasted 2x the money for, is shit.

22. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

like a 6920? :mamoru:

23. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

May of been a fluke, he bought it off a vendor off of the EE on arf, if I remember correctly after bitching to the guy he was able to exchange it for a different rifle.

24. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

well, i'm glad he got it sorted out, but that is rare to hear about dpms.

maybe that's why it was for sale on EE on arf. :x:

buy new, is my motto. (when you can of course, i'm not a snob and i realize everyone cannot, including myself)

bummer he had a bad one. they really are a quality company, with GREAT customer service.

25. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

my DPMS has been great so far...

Using it in my first 3 gun shoot in Sept.

My local gun shop is hourly with no sales quotas or comissions and they didn't stop me from buying one :dunno: