Are Dell desktops any good?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Going away to college in a couple months, I can't afford a laptop with everything I want, so are their desktops good?

2. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Most people will say Dell sucks, build your own, etc...

And you prolly should build your own...

But I bought a dell since I was able to get a good deal on it and it ended up costing roughly $300-400 cheaper than building my own...

Most of what I got is decent...I plan on leaving it alone for a while and then tearing out everything I can and moving it into a new case w/new mobo & psu and oc'ing the system.

But overall, I have to say Dell is a decent system for a pre-built system...

I think Gateway has less proprietary issues (I may be wrong about this) but people have complained about Gateway quality (I dunno)...

I'm sure others will chime in.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Dells aren't bad as far as mass produced name brand machines go. 100x better than anything from Compaq/HP or anything else you'll find at Best Buy. The thing I like about them is that they give you a Windows CD-ROM and a drivers disk. The CD will say "Operating system recovery disk" but you can boot off it, partition, format, and load Windows just the way you would with a retail Windows. Then you can either use the included Dell resource CD or download drivers off their web site. So you can reformat a Dell's hard disk and reload just what you want. With Compaq/HP, Sony, etc, you have to use their dumb ass restore CD's which in addition to reloading the OS and drivers, also reload all the worthless crap that makes Windows run like shit.

4. Spugster

Spugster Guest

Don't go Dell...unless you like basic computer components and don't plan on upgrading.

If you open a Dell you void the warranty, so if you want to get a new DVD-RW (or something) then you would want to be confident your computer isn't going to fuck up as you'll void the warranty when you install it.

If you don't plan on upgrading then Dells aren't so bad, although they don't run as fast as the same system would if custom built with better options you won't find in any Dell. Plus, I know a few friends who tried Dell and they all had problems with it.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not true, at least not in the US. If you're not supposed to open them up, why do the current cases have spare drive rails snapped into the bottom on the case?

Things you can upgrade/replace easily on the typical Dell desktop:

Memory
    optical drives
    hard drives
    floppy drives
    PCI cards
    AGP card (if your model had an AGP slot), but the power supply might limit how fast of a card you can put in there

6. BUGold04

BUGold04 "It was Zeigler..."

I've had my Dell Dimension 4550 for about a year and a half and I haven't had one problem. I got a good deal when I bought it, and Dell usually has some nice options or *specials* availabe at different times. Another nice thing is living in Waco, once the PC was built, which was very fast, it arrived by ground in about 2 days. The only bad thing is the customer support lines, which fortunately, I've never had to use for my machine. Go Dell, you'll be satisfied with the quality.

7. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

:werd: They don't have any sort of seal on the case, unlike other brands. And you can upgrade processors as well, if it's to your liking.

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Not necesarilly true.

I just got a new Compaq laptop last week. The very first thing I did beffore I even turned it on was install a faster hard drive and do a fresh install.

There was one Win XP installation disk that ran just like my retail Win XP installer, then there were several other disks with all the drivers for the video, audio, wireless, bluetooth, etc. and the applications. It let me select just the ones I wanted to install and didn't force me to install anything.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Presario or Armada? All of the craparios (desktop or laptop) I've ever seen have used the all-or-nothing restore CDs.

10. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Please stay away from Dell. As much as I hate Best Buy, having worked for them, their store brand (VPR matrix?) uses decent components.

11. maczter

Presario R3000 Series

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

ANY boxed up comp on the shelf at a store is going to be crappy. Dell uses some proprietary parts, such as the Power Supply, a part meant to be easily replaced, and overcharge for it.

A custom ordered HP is a good bet, but do not buy a pre-boxed off-the-shelf unit(At O-Max we would drop these things all the time, and our managers wouldn't let us send'em back) they tend to be of bad-quality.

On any comp you buy you can get a regular Windows XP CD to install Windows (legally) with the CD Key on the back of the comp. Just match Home -> Home or Pro-> Pro

13. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I've had good experiences with Dell machines. They do come with a little more software than you'd want preloaded but they are quiet, cheap and appear to be well built. I'd buy one for a family machine - one that doesn't see much action aside from the internet.

If you want gaming or anything of that sort I'd build.

14. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I've come in contact with hundreds of Dell computers. Our University deals with them only. Of the ~150 I've supported, we really don't have many issues.

15. percent

percent deluded

I work for a company that sells dells and they are def the best mass produced computer. You wont be disappointed, really, they are good. And if you were into computers enough that you needed a special set up or ungodly amounts of power you wouldnt be asking other people what you needed.

Only down side of dell - they recently switched to western digital hd's which i dont like. They used to use maxor (great) and seagate is the best (imo)

16. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Now that I do not think is entirely true, being a downside. WD is a great HD manufacturer. I have one in my dell that is a 40gig which came stock and I bought a 120G 8MB WD later on and it works awesome.

I have a Dell Deminsion 8100. The old style P4 at 1.3ghz and 256mb ram, 32mb GeForce2 and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio card. I have had the motherboard replaced twice, and the powersupply, ram, processor and video-card replaced once. First fix was everything then the motherboard had to be replaced because the remanufactured one that Dell gave was bad.

Dell uses there own remanufactured parts to replace a lot of things when you have warrenty issues.

I am about to purchase a new CPU, MB, and ram to build a new computer using some old Dell pieces.

This was the best computer you could get from Dell a couple years ago and I think that is the only reason it was able to last this long. I wouldn't get ANY Dell w/o an extended warrenty. You will want it. Thats the only way I'd buy a Dell again. Now, I am tech savvy enough to build my own computer and I have been for a while, but now have the means(see MONEY).

17. percent

percent deluded

18. maczter

19. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Most likely all the bad drives were from the same batch. That's how it works: Either lots of drives from a batch die, or almost none. That could have happened to you with any vendor using any drive. That's why its not a good idea to use the same make/model drive for every drive in an array.

20. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Don't blame the parts or anything, its that companies like Maxtor and WD are having quality control problems.

21. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i :love: my gx270. nothing wrong with it. the onboard video is only 64MB, but both it and the nic have intel chipsets, which i prefer.