Are any of you car nuts actually mechanics???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by red97gst, Jun 13, 2005.

1. red97gst

red97gst New Member

How many of you all that are actually really into cars, be it just driving em to actually wrenching em, have pursued auto mechanics?

At 18, I thought I should pursue auto mechanics, but after doing a motor swap and hating some of the aspects of doin the work (bloody knuckles, nearly indiagnosable vacuum hose leaks, etc) I thought maybe bein a full blown mechanic wasn't cut out for me. Mechanical engineering was the only related major in college, and it seemed a little too much given the knowledge you really use in 99% of fixing cars. So i put it aside

Now i'm 23, 5 years into college with majors that only half interest me...

How many of you guys have taken the step from enthusiast/weekend mechanic to actually studying at a tech school in order to become ASE certified?
    Did you quit? did you succeed?

I'm really into cars, but have always enjoyed DRIVING them and reading about them in magazines and books than actually turning wrenches. But recently, as lots of my friends' cars have been having problems, I'm starting to wish i really knew all diagnostics, but am not sure if a 1.5-2 yr commitment to studying the trade is the right way to go, particularly since I'm 20 credits away from my bachelor's degree (but struggling to finish)

Any input??? I have been modding cars since I was 17 and have always longed to own my own performance shop. This would be the way to get there.... but I don't know how to test if i'm really into mechanics or not w/o committing to a 1-2 year process (and $23,000 at Lincoln Tech).

Any of you guys had experience in this? Almost everyone on this forum is into cars one way or another. Is it possible to be really into cars and not really into fixing them? is there no way to earn money with cars other than wrenching them or being a 4.0GPA Mechanical Engineer that goes on to work for GM headquarters?

How can I work on and learn about hands-on auto mechanics without spending 20grand to go to one of these tech schools for 1-2 years? Can I become a mechanic's assistant somewhere without actually having experience minus working on my own car and reading auto forums for 6 years?

2. red97gst

red97gst New Member

wow everyone's a bench racer?

3. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

I was/am a mechanic and, well.......just finish up your degree. I was going to school for computer science and ended up quiting and going to a tech school. Going into a shop with just school as your experiance you're gonna be at the bottom of the pile anyways so just save your money on that. If its really what you wanna do just try to get into an oil change place or small shop or something like that. It's shitty pay but you'll learn alot more and wont be paying for it.

4. holy diver

holy diver OT Supporter

i work for a seismic company and i am a mechanics apprentice. i work on diesel engines(mostly ford trucks) and quads (4wheelers) when i get this down i am going to move on to heavy machinery. they were talking about sending me to school in canada, im sure they will but only time will tell

5. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

Not sure if this helps but, alot of my friends became journeymen mechanics and were very much car enthusiasts. After time though, they eventually lost interest after wrenching on cars day after day. Out of the 4 of us, I was the only one that didn't become a mechanic and was still into cars. I'd say most people can do either one or the other and not lose interest.

6. Mad Mike

Mad Mike (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer

Yep been a mechanic for 4 years now:wavey:

7. Desibabu345

Desibabu345 I like meat. Man meat.

I love motors and engines in general, so I decided to do Mechanical Engineering because that was the closest to my love. Now that I'm getting into it I realize how little it has to do with that but nevertheless I get to learn some nice materials stuff and shop classes which will help me with this in the end. I'm thinking ill go on to grad school and then find some way to get rich so I can fund this passion.

8. kdv

kdv New Member

My brother is a mechanic by trade, does pretty good - does piece work at a busy shop. Made 34 hours of pay in about 12 of actual work just on the weekend shift.

But IMHO, the job sucks. Lots of idiots bring their shit to him expecting free work and miracles. Cost of tools is prohibitive, and the knowledge requirements are becoming more daunting.

As for me - I can work on my own shit on most stuff that doesn't require a hoist, welder, or air tools.

9. emilio

emilio Guest

most the people i read about on the web do not seem like they actually do much physical work with/on the cars they appear to know so well...

10. Andrapos

Andrapos Guest

I'm not a mechanic, but I've been building/restoring muscle cars for 6 years now :)

The only way being a mechanic pays enough is if you work for BMW, had them pay for your school, and log 10+ hours of overtime every 40hr work week like my buddy does. He's insane, and his '03 Cobra proves it!