A&P Are all tripod quick releases the same?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by orangecheese, Apr 3, 2008.

1. orangecheese

orangecheese It's better than you think. OT Supporter

With a recent surge in a huge photography interest, I recently came across my grandfather's tripod with siteglass. I vividly remembering him shooting with it, and using it for video. I've seen a few quick releases from $10-$20 online, and I don't want to buy the incorrect piece.

What are the chances of buying the wrong piece? Are the base patterns different along the brands?

2. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

base patterns can vary within a brand.

3. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

yeah, definitely confirm that it fits your specific model before buying one. Each brand can have several different types depending on the head.

4. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

From the little research I have made. Bogen/Manfrotto quick release plates are proprietary. Meaning they make their own specific system that will only work for themselves. They have different grades based on weight. RC4, RC2, RC5, etc.

I have used RC2, and currently RC4. I'm not particularly a big fan but for the price compared to the next format I'm going to talk about keeps my mouth shut. My 808 Bogen Pan/Filt head on RC4 plate @ ~110 is a bargain. It can handle the ~10lbs of camera, grip, flash, 200mm lens very well. The biggest complaint I have about their system is that their plates other than the RC5 just don't make sense. The RC4 when fitted on my D200 with grip sits from the center to the far left of the camera. So if my camera ever stands on a table it will always want to lean towards the right. The plate is overall too big.

In the passed I have owned a straboframe grip, and plate on some other much cheap pan and tilt head. The tripod brand was Davis & Sanford and the overall cost for the head, grip, plate and tripod overall was under 80 dollars. It was light, had a center column that was adjustable using a knob, center column handle and the plate was AWESOME. It was extremely thin, and is MUCH easier to lock and unlock than Bogen/Manfrotto. However Bogen's head are so much smoother consistent and the tripod legs feel very sturdy. That's why I switch despite almost doubling the weight.

The next system that I seem to see the real pros use is a system that is universal in format that many companies like I Arca-swiss, Markins, etc use is pretty similar to straboframe. The plates are dove tail like and the biggest benefit is you can use L bracketes that so many people are now making for all cameras!

BUT! and this is a big but, the heads specifically ball head types that are designed to work with these arca-swiss universal design type grip are A LOT more expensive than Bogen/Manfrotto.

I'm pretty sure you can buy a Hydrostatic head that comes WITH Bogen/Manfrotto's designed grip and plate and still purchase the plate or L bracket AND grip from the other system and STILL have it cheaper than if you originally bought the other system all together.

I hope that was useful. Just my observations from recent shopping.