Archival CD-R's???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

I need to backup all of my photography images. What are some archival quality CD-R's that you've had experience with??? I've heard Delkin, Taiyo, and Mitsui make these such types of disks with a 100-year life, etc. What's your suggestion? And any websites for reviews on this?

2. tony

tony Guest

Gold CDRs that use a phthalocyanine-based dye are by far the best, and are the only kind that are certified for use for digital perservation in most libraries. I work at Stanford University, and this is the only thing we use when burning CDs.

There are many aspects that will extend the lifespan of a CDR. Store them in a mild temprature environment: 50-70 degrees, exposure to light can exasperate damage to the disc, only write on the hub of the disc, etc

CD-RWs are less suseptable to environmental damages than CDRs, if you can find good quality ones.

There are not many DVDRs on the market that are as good for long-term storage than the type I mentioned above.

3. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

My Taiyo-Yuden cdrs started to grow mold after I took them to work a few times :hs: