Architecture Crew: Behold the work of ~EICHLER~

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Jul 13, 2007.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

Joseph Eichler was a visionary real estate developer (not an architect) who utilized highly-respected and progressive architectural firms to create well-designed, yet affordable, modern homes for the masses.

Joseph Eichler's interest in architecture was heightened after moving his family from New York to California in the early 1940s, settling into a usonian house designed by noted architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Joe Eichler's experience living in this modernist house inspired him to find a way to bring the unique design elements of a modern architectural home to the general public.

Joseph Eichler founded Eichler Homes, Inc. in 1949 and pursued his vision of creating modern homes with architecturally distinct elements for the average family (and average income!). To help materialize his vision, Eichler enlisted the help of distinguished architects and architectural firms such as Jones + Emmons, Anshen and Allen, Claude Oakland and Raphael Soriano who would help design homes and neighborhoods which were reflective of the contemporary and progressive design found in the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home where Joseph Eichler had once lived.

Between 1950 -1974, Eichler built more than 11,000 modernist homes. Virtually all of these homes were built by Joseph Eichler in Northern California. Most of the N. California Joseph Eichler homes are located throughout the San Francisco Bay Area including Eichlers in Marin (primarily San Rafael), San Francisco, San Mateo, Sunnvayle, San Jose, Palo Alto, Oakland Hills, Castro Valley Concord, Walnut Creek, Sacramento). In Southern California, Joseph Eichler developed five Eichler tracts which are located in Orange County, Thousand Oaks and Granada Hills. In addition to Eichler developments throughout California, he also built a small number of Eichler houses in New York, less than 1 hour north of Manhattan.

Eichler-built homes shared similar design elements including open floor plans, walls of glass which helped blur the lines between indoor and outdoor living, and in-floor radiant heating systems which were a luxury typically reserved only for high-end, custom homes.

Despite the fact that most Eichler homes are approaching their 50th anniversary, the've never been more popular amongst homebuyers looking for good modern design that is both practical and livable.

To learn more about Joseph Eichler homes and neighborhoods in Northern California, be sure to visit the Marin Eichler Homes and San Francisco Eichler Homespages of this website dedicated to Eichler Homes and its founder, Joseph Eichler. Additionally, be sure to preview the interior of select Eichler homes and see tips for restoring or updating a mid-century modern Eichler home.

If you are interested in purchasing an Eichler home, contact Renee Adelmann, a top real estate agent specializing in Eichler & other modern and mid-century modern homes throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
    var sc_project=1628777; var sc_invisible=1; var sc_partition=15; var sc_security="abdb8305"; var sc_remove_link=1;

not the greatest pics, but the guy was a midcentury modern icon :bowdown:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

my architect aunt has a coffee table book on his work, but she still idolizes Frank Lloyd Wright

3. cedric

he was heavily influenced by Wright and Mies van der Rohe. Look at how he uses atriums and glass for all that natural light. My only complaint about houses from that era are the ceilings are usually really low :sad2:

4. DasVWBabe

DasVWBabe Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall, but t OT Supporter

I was watching HGTV and stumbled across a "My House is Worth What?" that featured an Eichler home. It was amazing, and I started researching Eichler and loved what I found.

I don't mind low ceilings - I'm only 5'3". :mamoru:

5. cedric

Since a lot of his houses are in NorCal, I was checking into what it'd cost to buy one. They start at $900K-1.3M :squint:

I'd love to get the floor plans for one, raise the ceilings like 3' and use all modern materials :bowdown:

6. urbnkitten

urbnkitten New Member

one of my teachers at school owns one in marin. :bowdown::bowdown:i begged her for a field trip. I'm obsessed but they're not the love of my life's style so i'll probably never get one. :wtc:

7. cedric

why are you still with that fool :ugh:

one of my friends said he thought I could've done better with my bed. I haven't spoken to him since :squint:

8. urbnkitten

urbnkitten New Member

:rofl: i still have faith that i can turn him.

9. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

My home is wherever you are. :)

10. Brujo

Brujo New Member

is it wrong to love glo-balls?

if you like his work, check out Neutra, David Hovey (which I've posted before), and Ray Kappe. Each have their own version of this style.

11. Knucklehead Zoo

Knucklehead Zoo New Member

Style Lab can't get enough of that chair :bowdown:

12. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

it's so hot right now (and for the past 20 years) hansel :rofl:

13. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

:bigthumb:

14. cedric

15. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

I live in one of his houses :wiggle:

16. cedric

motherfucking pics, man! :eek3:

17. _Trev_

Sorry, That's not happening :o

18. cedric

oh, in that case, I live in a Frank Lloyd Wright house...but I am also not posting pics :o

19. _Trev_

lol

20. _Trev_

I dunno, the house is a mess. I might take some during the week when it's more cleaned up :o

21. Pale James

Pale James OT Supporter

Those are some nice homes. I don't know much about designers/architects, I'll have to look up more of this guy's work.