GUN Archery Crew: Mechanical Broadheads

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Placebo, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I'm starting to feel comfortable with my new bow and am going to go hunting for the first time. It'll be dear BTW. I've heard good and bad things about mechanical broadheads and was wondering how you guys stand.

You guys are always helpful so thanks ahead.

2. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

The man who tought my hunter safty course likes fixed over mechanical. HE gave a good reason, but i cant rememebr it. So thats all ive heard for now.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Everyone I know seems to use both :dunno:

4. mrbill

mrbill New Member

mechs fly like fieldpoints, but from what i've heard won't punch through bone quite as a fixed blade bh. whereas a fixed blade may fly less like a field point, but will penetrate/punch through bone better. there are also reports of some mechs not opening fully or having the blades break off. use what you feel most confident with. if you have a bh target, buy a pack of mechs and a pack of fixed blade. then see which fly best for you. if your bow isn't tuned right though, the fixed blades will likely not fly as well as your field points. if your bow isn't tuned right and/or you don't have a bh target, i would advise going with mechs to start. keep in mind also that how much weight your pulling and how heavy your arrow is will also effect how well the bh performs. all that being said, i got a complete pass through on a deer using 100gr spitfires pulling between 55 and 60 lbs. if you want more info or have more detailed questions, go to www.archerytalk.com and do a search. this subject has been discussed over there more than a few times.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

get some muzzy 4 blade fixed and dont look back

you'll thank me later.

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Two seasons ago I did a comparison between the two.
    I shot a doe on that saturday with fixed. Perfect shot behind the shoulder low. She ran about 60 yards and collapsed.
    The next day I shot a doe with mechanical hit a little forward and got into the shoulder. It exploded her shoulder and still had an exit wound behind the shoulder on the other side. Both entry and exit looked like the exit wound if you had shot her with a .308. She went about the same distance as the doe shot with fixed blade. Defincately going to have a better blood trail with the mechanical.
    I say shoot what your comfortable with on deer. Both work well. On hogs I would only use fixed blade. Your just not going to get good penetration thru that shoulder plate with a mechanical.