Arch pain while running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MadEmperor, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

I've been having arch pain in my left foot while I run. After about 2 miles the pain turns into my entire left foot going numb. Numb foot while running FTL :hs:

My left foot does have a slightly lower arch then the right, but it's not flat.

My sneakers (new, just bought them $100 MSRP)
    http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010036&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001542

Should I get some special insert for the left foot? Maybe get different running shoes? Is this normal for break-in?

2. keeler

keeler New Member

go to a runners specialty store, they hooked me up with a shoe that was perfect for my footstructure/stride. wasn't too expensive either,i think i dropped 80 bucks on a perfect pair of running shoes.

3. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

you might require support.

I've got arches that are so high, there are no shoes on the market that support them

not having proper support can cause all kinds of further issues, caused by an unbalanced impact. (knee, back and hip pain)

if you've got good benefits, and you can get them covered - there's no reason no to. Even if you dont get them covered - it's worth the investment if you need them and will be doing lots of high-impact activities.

4. PcH

PcH Guest

Go to a local running store and tell them your situation. They'll be able to tell what kind of arch (if you even have one) you have. Bring your running shoes that you use too.

Edit - just saw keeler's post :o

5. MadEmperor

I **Just** went to a running store and bought new shoes. I actually went to like 5 stores, and all said the Asics 2130/2140 are excellent for me.

I'm thinking of just taking a exacto knife and trimming down the arch portion of the insert on the left shoe to make the arch lower.

6. keeler

keeler New Member

you went to a running store and not an athletic village right?
    take the shoe back to the store you bought it and tell them what hurts on your foot.

7. PcH

PcH Guest

Exacto knife? :rofl:

8. MadEmperor

[​IMG]

+

bottom of
    [​IMG]

Just to take off like 1mm of material in the left arch of the insert.

9. lostboy

lostboy ?

Won't do much of anything to trim the arch of the stock insole, it's just soft foam that compresses to nothing. You can get adjustable insoles if you'd like to have different support for each foot (or ones with substantial/solid support that trimming will have an effect on) but I'd avoid doing this if you plan on doing any real running as it's just asking for imbalance issues in my mind. If you've just started running I'd focus on working into the program, and maybe tie the shoes a bit looser for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.