GUN AR15 - Chrom molly vs. Chrome lined

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlocksRock, Sep 30, 2004.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I'm new to the AR world and I want to do everything right the first time. So what is reccomended for the barrel of my M4? Is there really that much difference between the chrome lined, or does that just make it easier to clean? What would you reccomend for an AR noob?

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Get a chrome lined barrel and chamber. It will last longer and need to be cleaned less often. Plus the chrome chamber will aid in extraction.

Chrome lined barrels are slightly less accurate than non-chrome lined but that shouldn't matter on your M4. You aren't building a 24" tack driver...

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Ok, thanks. Chrome lined it is then.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

chrome-moly is a waste of money, it does nothing extra. also, just to clarify on the accuracy of chrome-line vs. non:

if you get a MATCH non-chrome lined barrel, it will end up being more accurate than a chrome-line barrel ever will be, in almost all instances. however, a non-match, non-chromed barrel is NOT any more accurate than a non-match, chromed barrel. you lose nothing, unless you were planning on buying a match barrel. for that, olympic arms' ONLY good product is a nice match barrel (i forget what they call it, but it's the only thing they sell that's actually good), and creager, and some of the other match barrel makers are the way to go. if not, don't bother with a non-chromed barrel. there is NOTHING to gain from it, only many thousands of rounds of barrel life to lose, and LOTS more cleaning just to keep it cleaned, and to keep it from rusting.

one more thing: make sure both the bore and the chamber are chrome-lined. if just the bore is, that's dumb. find another barrel.