GUN AR vs. AK build

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jabbadeznuts, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So apparently the ATF isn't allowing the import of AK parts kits any more. :wtc: With that in mind, what's here is all there's gonna be.

So, the question is, do an AR build or build an AK. Either way, I'd be starting with an 80% receiver.

AK:
    Pros:
    Flats are cheap
    Parts kits are relatively cheap
    Ammo is plentiful
    AKs are reliable as hell

Cons:
    Flats require a lot of work to bend
    Parts kits are going to get more expensive

AR:
    Pros:
    More accurate than the AK
    Versatile (new upper = new caliber)
    Ammo is plentiful

Cons:
    Expensive
    Still a lot of work getting the receiver done
    More finicky when it comes to cleaning

What should I do?

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I assume you have a good milling machine to work on the AR receiver? An AK flat looks challenging, but nowhere near as much as an AR.

3. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

don't have access to that either...

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

AK would probably be easier and cheaper to build, especially if you can get in on a local build party. Why 80% receivers though?

5. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1) I'd like to put as much of my own work in as possible.
    2) Cheaper.
    3) I hate going through the paperwork.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Build an AK first. If it's your first build I would recommend going with a 100% receiver. They are only $55 from NoDak and are top quality. I guarantee you'll spend more than 5hrs working on your first flat (not to mention all the tools required to bend and heat treat.)

I have a ghetto-ass trigger rivet jig and a pair of rivet squeezers that work great, plus some various other tools if you need to borrow them.

<------My first built. Just be warned, it's kind of addicting. I've done 3 or 4 in the last year.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you're dead-set on an 80% flat you'll probably have to find someone with a jig and a press. They had a flat building party in Portland I think last weekend.

8. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Shit Keesh, I might have to go and build an AK. I saw some 100% receivers at a local shop. Don't remember what brand.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It's almost as much fun building them as it is shooting them ;)

NoDak are by far the best. Most of the other ones work, but either aren't fully heat treated or the holes don't line up correctly.

10. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

What tools are required? I was able to assemble my AR lowers with just a pair of pliers, a mallet, and a filed down nail to act as a punch. :mamoru:

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Well if you are determined enough, you could probably build one with a hammer and a rock :rofl:

To build them up real nice you'll probably need a 12 ton press ($100, cheaper if you can find one on Craigslist), a trigger guard rivet jig ($45), a pair of rivet squeezers ($35), a dremel, a vice (the bigger the better), and of course the BFH (big fucking hammer.)

A lot of the stuff can be done with a hammer though. I've knocked out barrel pins and barrels with just a vice, punch and a hammer, (usually people use the press.) If you take your time you can form rivets with just a ball pin hammer too. You can get creative with scrap metal and make your own jigs. So the amount of tools is really up to you.

12. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Keesh,

Where are you in Oregon? I'd love to get some person-to-person contact on this. Besides, if nothing else, I'd get to fingerfuck your guns. :big grin:

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm in Corvallis. I've got a friend that goes to Willamette so I swing up there every so often. I'm refinishing my latest two AKs this week, so they are all stripped down. Here are two that have been refinished so far...
    [​IMG]

We're having a camp and shoot in Arlington this weekend. Going to be a few machine guns and all that good stuff. :bigthumb:

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

But yeah, if you are going shooting, PM me or something, I don't get to go much down here because I don't have many friends that are shooters.

15. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

So what will happen to current AK owners if we need a part and they don't allow imports anymore? Is there a domestic producer who's making parts?

16. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Damn it, now I want to build an AK. I hate having a hobby and no way to fund it :wtc: I need to get a temporary job till I start working for my buddy this summer.

I want a fixed stock though. I don't know shit about AK's, so I guess I need to start looking. Any good sites for AK's like Arfcom is for AR's?

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

There's quite a few companies that make US parts for AKs. As long as you have the specs and the cash you can probably have any regular machine shop make most of the parts for you.

www.theakforum.net is a good start, lots of knowledgeable guys over there. The ARFCOM AK board is pretty slow.