GUN AR questions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Sep 18, 2008.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

We've got a couple gun shows coming up and i'm looking to get an AR. In preparation, i'm counting on the seller not knowing the answers to any of my questions, and would like to be able to find out for my self.

So...is there a way i can tell by looking at the gun whether the barrel is chrome lined or not? How about what the rifling twist is? What about carbine vs mid length gas system?

I may come up with a couple more, but these are the ones on my mind right now.

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Rifling is usually marked on the barrel (Might be under the handguards). As for chrome lining, I would assume that the bore should be shiny.

3. It's hard to look down the bore of anything that's .22 caliber and be able to see anything. A non chrome barrel will look just like a chromed barrel.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Looking at it especially such a small caliber and telling if it is chrome lined will be difficult.

As for rifling, it is just a ratio of how far the bullet travels down the barrel for each rotation it makes. As for what twist you want . . . well that depends on what you are going to do with it and who you listen to.

I see yar in the thread so you may get some good input, it might be a longer post though.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Print out each model and their specs and bring it with you.

6. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Most likely any AR that you pick up these days is probably going to be 1/9 or 1/7 twist-rate, both of which will throw pretty much whatever you put in them reasonably well. 1/7 stabilizes heavy rounds better so it's been kind of the craze lately, but that shouldn't be a sale-stopper if you find a good deal on something.

Most barrels are going to be chrome-lined, but again, even if you happen to get one that isn't that shouldn't break a good deal. The likelyhood of you shooting enough rounds to ever "shoot-out" a barrel is pretty slim.

Find a rifle with the features you want that you don't have any ability to change (A3 versus A2 really being the only one) at the price you want and go for it.

Brand-wise you're actually more likely to find a good brand than a bad one with the number of quality manufacturers out there. Yes, there are the universally touted "superior" brands, but for standard civilian use you'd be hard pressed to ever notice a difference.

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

If you're buying a real factory complete gun, look at what model it is. Then look at the barrel. It should be stamped with some info. Such as whose it is. Twist, chrome and shit like that.

To tell if the chamber is chrome. Pivot out the top receiver, and remove the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Now, when you look at the chamber, there should be a tiny chrome ring around it.

Here is a pic of a barrel i just sold.
    [​IMG]

8. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Also, proper etiquette, ask before you handle. Ask before you tear it down.

9. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Also, chances of you getting raped on price at a gun show are pretty high.

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

This is also true. Go in there with a price in mind. A brand or type of AR you want. You're not going to find any killer deals. But it should be pretty comparable to if you're buying online or just a tiny bit more. Consider it the price you pay for getting the item on the spot.

But I'm the type of person that generally knows what I want, when I'm heading to the shops/shows. Go in, look for it. Done. :o

Also, doesnt hurt to haggle it a little bit if the price seems way to high. Ask for free magazines or some shit like that. Or just walk. Dont be a jew though.

11. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

:werd:

I still go though :o Usually not till the last day though, hoping maybe to find someone who is too lazy to pack all their shit up, so is willing to make a deal.

12. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Thanks for all the input guys...this will end up being a patrol rifle most likely, so i'm looking for something pretty nice/reliable.

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Then you want a lightweight setup. Get a pencil/lightweight 14.5" BM with an DD OMEGA rail and you're game. :o

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

look at colt or lmt