GUN AR question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Werm, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Werm

Werm Guest

If you use .223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle, will it cause feed problems?

2. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

3. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

The .223 Remington round is also known as 5.56mm NATO.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Common belief, but not quite so. The 5.56mm NATO round is a higher pressure loading of the .223 Remington.

It is safe to shoot .223 in a 5.56mm, but not the other way around.

5. ryanbum

umm.... how so? The size of a cartridge has nothing to say of it's powder load. Where did you get your info? The nomenclature of the round refers to it size. It is sorta like 9x19 versus 9mm Luger . SAME THING. Now if there is a +p or a +p+ following the size of the cartridge then there is a difference in powder loads.

6. ryanbum

All I know is that .223 Remington IS 5.56 NATO and 5.56 NATO is .223 Remington. Their case dimentions are the same and the bullet dimentions are the same. They have the same grain count available.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

For your own sake, you some more research before trying to sound intelligent regarding the 5.56 NATO round. Grain count means nothing, the grain count that you mention is just the size of the bullet. 5.56 NATO is not just a case size, it is a munitions specification. There are many, many aspects to this specification. One way that 5.56 is different than .223 is that the 5.56 casing wall IS thicker, because the 5.56 round IS hotter than the .223 round. your 9mm comparison has no meaning here.

8. Werm

Werm Guest

The 5.56's are hotter loads, which if you barrel is for .223 you shouldn't be shooting those hot loads, it's tons more pressure for the gas system that wasn't made for it or something (from what I remember) I was pretty sure .223 into a 5.56 was fine, just wanted to make sure.

I recently bought a armalite with a .223 barrel, but it keeps jamming with Wolf .223 ammo (I know it's bad ammo, I'm going to do some tests next time, 4-5 different brands of ammo and see if it's that shitty wolf, or a problem with the gun)

I just asked the question in this thread because I saw you shouldn't shoot 5.56 in a .223, and was wondering about vise versa (Just building knowledge about my new gun :)

9. Furner

Furner New Member

try and find some of the "new" wolf. I think http://www.sportsmansguide.com has it. It usually called "new wolf" or "polymer wolf"

10. ryanbum

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

it is enough that SAAMI, along with all AR manufacturers tell you to NOT use 5.56 in a .223 chamber. at the least, you will experience some failures to extract, from swollen casings, at the most, you could have a case rupture.

12. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

These guys are the exact reasons I made sure to get mine chambered in 5.56.

At the very least, with the minor exception that my gun maybe slightly less accurate, I can shoot just about any ammo, hot loads or otherwise in my gun.