GUN AR Pistol Crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GearHead, Oct 23, 2009.

1. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Do we have one of these in WMD? I haven't seen a lot on them in here.

I just got a stripped lower from Noveske for free and I was thinking about building one of these up...anybody who has one want to drop some wisdom/pics? I have read stuff on barfcom about em, but wanted to see if they really are as cool as those faggots think.

The thing that is drawing me to the pistol is the fact that I can SBR it when I live in a free state in a few years.

Thanks! :wiggle:

2. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

they look dumb as fuck and seem pretty pointless.

3. Never really been a fan of them, I don't see the point, and they're ugly. Of course, that's all subjective opinion.

4. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I kind of like em for my situation right now as it is kind of way to have an NFA-type gun in a no NFA state.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Why not buy a rifle or carbine upper for it now then sell it for a short barreled upper when you move. There is basically no practical point of an AR pistol.

You get the weight of the rifle in an awkward and unwieldy package you can only use as a pistol.

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

yeah its like having an NFA weapon that you cant use like an NFA weapon. my glock 17 is like the ultimate NFA-like weapon. basically an sbr mp5 without a stock.

7. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

If shit ever hits,I'll be carrying mine.Same mags and ammo.Whats to lose?

8. mstad

mstad New Member

AR pistol is the perfect compromise for THIS thread.

9. Velocity, accuracy. What ammo are you using? You lose a lot of velocity with barrels that short, and you need to factor that into the equation when choosing your ammo for defensive purposes.

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Hoss is a homo

11. I posted this in another thread about the same thing we're discussing here:

Regarding very short barrels (like on an AR pistol) and .223, I stole this off barfcom. The reliable fragmentation velocity for M193 is 2700+ fps. Look at what it's doing out of a 10.5" or 7.5" barrel. Out of the 10.5 you're basically looking at reliable fragmentation at the muzzle, and no further. Out of the 7.5" it will never reliably fragment.

I can't find expansion vs. velocity data anywhere online for the heavier stuff, but according to this and other stuff I've found the heavy stuff is losing 600-700 fps out of the 7.5" barrel compared to something like a 16" barrel. For comparison purposes, the 2053fps you're seeing from Mk262 at the muzzle is similar to Mk262 fired from a 16" barrel at over 250 yards. As I said, I couldn't find any hard data on what the acceptable velocities were for reliable expansion with heavier stuff, but starting as slow as the short barrels are doesn't give you much leeway.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The common FPS for reliable expansion in 75/77gr OTMs is 2250FPS. My chrono showed up today so when the weather clears up I'm going to test a number of loads through my 10.5". I've had an extremely hard time finding reliable data on short barreled rifles it so I figure I'd gather it myself.

13. I'd be interested to see what you find with the chrono. Assuming it's in line with the numbers above, you're pretty much up against the velocity limit jsut a little in front of the muzzle. As I understand it though, most AR pistols use even shorter barrels than 10.5, right?

14. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Yep.Mine is 7"

15. I'd make sure I was using ammo that would reliably do something at the velocity where that thing is going to be working, otherwise you're just going to be poking little holes in people if you ever do use it defensively.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If it means anything the LAPD SIS who use AR pistols for engagements from inside their vehicle were out at the range about a month ago. They were shooting from in a vehicle at targets in another vehicle. I was not there but I'm told no question targets in target vehicle would be dead.

This is the best reason I've seen so far for rifle caliber pistols. Chambered in something like 6.5, 6.8, or 7.62x39 it would be a manuverable tool to be used from inside a vehicle at targets under 50 yards away.

I'm sort of skeptical about effectiveness of rifle caliber pistols in general but in specilized instances such as this where a rifle with a stock would be much more difficult to use it seems to make sense.

Now if your just looking for a range toy I can see the appeal of a AR pistol. I've handled a few and they are kind of neat. Now if your wanting to do a AR pistol in CA where I think the thead starter is from there is a whole other set of hurdles. I think the lower had to of been registered as a pistol and has to be configured as a single shot pistol to get around the CA DOJ approved handguns list.

17. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

MG, does velocity pick up with a silencer?

18. I have no idea, but I doubt it does in any material fashion. The reason suppressors suppress the sound is they allow the gases to expand (obviously) that of course drops the pressure. I don't know how hard the gas is still pushing the bullet once it passes through the first baffle or two, but it's definitely at a much lower pressure than it was in the barrel.

EDIT: According to wikipedia suppressors can actually slow a bullet down.

19. mstad

mstad New Member

Single shot pistol? Fucking weak.

Ask me how much I miss living in Cali.

20. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Now a pistol in 6.8 would be kickass.Some are rollin ther own and pushing damn near 3K out of a 10.5 bbl

21. Skip the pistol thing, and go straight for this if you want 6.8!

[​IMG]

22. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

The only was I could own one of those*besides moving*is FA.MI has some screwy ass laws

23. mstad

mstad New Member

What are the options for chambering an AR15 bigger than .223?

24. mstad

mstad New Member

I fail to see the problem here.

25. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

The list is longer than my...
    :squint:
    Well, it's long.