GUN AR parts kit V. Blackthrone

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sgt Pepper, Apr 23, 2009.

?

Buy from Blackthorne?

1. Yes, thier stuff is pretty good.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, their stuff is shit.

44.4%
  3. Who's Blackthorne?

55.6%
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Here's the story of my AR build so far. Hopefully WMD can help me out.

I bought a DPMS stripped lower at a gun show in January(overpaid :wtc:).

I then wanted to get a parts kit to complete the build and a friend found Blackthorne(Link).

Ordered a parts kit from them on 1/5/09 and it has yet to be shipped. I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said that they were still back ordered on bold carriers and I could cancel at any time.

I have since looked further into them and it sounds like there pedaling shit. So I'm thinking of canceling and ordering with someone else. I'm a freshman in college so I don't have a lot of money(why I chose Blackthorne originally).

I've found http://www.model1sales.com and they look pretty cheap. What I'm looking for is an A3 16" carbine with a heavy barrel.

I'm also not opposed to building my own upper. I just don't have a torque wrench which would be about $100 on top of the rifle.

Am I SOL on Blackthorne and if so where should I go?

Also is a relatively cheap AR even possible without sacrificing quality?

Thanks! :wavey:

2. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I've heard nothing but terrible things about Blackthorne kits. Stick with JT, Del-Ton, and Model 1

3. I have never heard anything positive about them. Apparently it's the same company as Hesse and Vulcan and they just keep changing their name to try and escape their awful reputation.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This poll is like asking: "Hay guys, what have you heard about this AIDS stuff, should I get some?"

Also you're probably going to regret a heavy barrel, get a regular m4 profile. You can rent a torque wrench for free at auto parts stores, you'll probably spend $50 for the upper receiver block and the armorers wrench though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  5. :rofl:

6. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

DOT. Stay far far away.

7. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I just canceled my order.

I'm liking what I see at Del-Ton it seems like they offer a pretty good product.

8. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I really don't like the profile of the M4 barrel it looks a bit goofy to me. Is there any advantage of having an M4 barrel other than saving weight?

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Light profile is an option too but its usually harder to find budget barrels in it. If you actually shoot your gun those weight savings are going to be worth some goofy looks. There are no small number of "hey you know this a2 upper does actually suck" and "i don't like my heavy barrel gun as much as i thought I would" for a reason.

10. On the topic of weight, at my last carbine class it was pretty hot and sunny outside. As the day wears on you start to get pretty fatigued. I kept my rifle slung all day (I didn't just let it hang loose, I kept it in my hands as I was walking) and I am SO GLAD I have a lightweight profile barrel (and a relatively light rifle overall.) Really, by the end of the day it felt like that rifle weighed 25 pounds. Any weight savings you can get is well worth it if you plan on using the rifle for an extended period of time.

11. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Yeah, I can see that. It feels like I'm carrying an anti-tank rifle after a long day of walking fields and my SBE2 is awfully light.

12. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I just ordered a kit from Del-Ton, thanks for all of your help :wavey: