GUN AR links?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Didact, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

Maybe a repost, sorry :sadwavey:

But I need info in AR's, about 3-4 of us are considering a group buy at one of the local gun shops in town. But before I just head first, anyon ehave refernce websites I can study?

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Everyone likes to point to ar15.com ... never been fond of digging through forums myself, but I think they have some articles as well.

3. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

What kind of references are you looking for? ar15 has some really knowledgeable people, but also a whole lot of bandwagon jumpers and people that don't know what they are talking about also.

4. Didact

Ah, difference between most uppers and lowers, problems points to look for when buying a used one, common mistakes..

5. Bdog

Here is the full blown lower report with a list of who actually makes each lower. Most all lowers are made to the same specs and are good.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

I just got a CMMG upper, and those and LMT uppers are really good... my opinion!

6. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

7. Bdog

I know you asked for links and ar15 is probably your best bet, but it's a hard site to navigate sometime when looking for something specific. I used to be a dealer and here are some points I'll add. The first one is most all modern firearm companies still making AR's are good with little problems. If there is something wrong these companies usually fix it promptly as they don't want any liability issues.

Your lowers are all basically the same, just a couple tool marks difference.

LMT = LMT, Lauer(old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster (?)
    CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske (old), Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI (1st batch), Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx
    LAR = Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, (?)DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical, Noveske (new)
    MMS = Mega, Gunsmoke, Dalphon, POF (forged), Alexander Arms, Stinger, Spike's Tactical(old)
    JVP = Double Star, LRB
    Olympic = Olypmic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century
    Superior = Superior Arms, Lauer (current)

Manufactures of mil-spec (4150 steel) uppers are made by CMMG, Colt, LMT, Sabre, and Bushmaster. Bushmaster usually has a 1/9 twist, while the others have a 1/7 twist. The 1/7 twist helps stabilize the round better in shorter barrels. I really needed a 1/7 twist in my 11.5" barrel for the suppressor I'm putting on.

Now there are still really good uppers like CMT/Stag, Rock River Arms, Armalite, Eagle Arms, J&T, DPMS, BCM...

Then there are your higher end uppers like Daniel Defense, Noveske, Vltor, LaRue... You can get high end parts and barrels in the other uppers, but these are usually expensive no matter what.

If I'd buy an off the shelf AR usually stocked at a dealer, I'd get a Bushmaster > Rock River Arms > Armalite.

First off with looking at an AR, I'd just ask how many rounds and why they are selling it for. If it's at a dealer, ask their personal opinion on that exact rifle to see what they say. I would not even put one on consignment without looking it over completely. I didn't check the head spacing or get that detailed, but I'd let the customer know everything I knew about the gun I was selling.

Things to look for in an AR is the fit of the upper to the lower. Some may have a little play, but most are pretty tight. It doesn't necessarily mean a used one is worn out and doesn't affect the accuracy. You can also get an accuwedge to tighten up the play, but a good fitting upper is something to look at.

Basic finish and wear is something to look at. A lot of my customers would by AR's (we ran a special and sold 55 AR's in one day) but never really shoot them. They just wanted one, thinking they are going to ban them or think their cool, but live areas that they never really shoot them. Now with the ban uplifted and still the cost has gone up a bit, you can sell an AR for what you've paid for it 5 years ago. If it's a really good shooter that's worn a bit, most "shooters" don't sell them, they just add to the collection.

Chrome lined barrel or steel barrel? Most all new AR's have a chrome lined barrel and unless your a competition shooter, that's what you want. They will last longer and are easier to take care of. As with any gun make sure the crown (end of the barrel) looks good. Even with flash hiders, they could mess up the crown at sometime and that affects accuracy.

There is safety and trigger issues, but they are hard to pinpoint without going out and firing one. Even if you get an AR that has these issues, you can change out the trigger and lower parts for $75.00. Most any issues are in the uppers with jamming and not feeding properly. Sometimes this is just lack of lubrication, or a bad magazine.

The biggest mistake IMO is not getting the exact style you want. Don't get an A2 upper if you really want an A3 flattop. Don't get a 20" barrel if you really want a shorter 16". Like I've posted on another thread, you can build a really nice AR for around $850. That's about any stripped lower, RRA parts kit, complete CMMG or LMT upper and either a collapsible or standard stock. That's about the best you can get and is still cheaper than most off the shelf AR's. Your cost is in the railed handguards, stocks, lights...

Good luck!

8. Didact

Well the local shop has 4 AR is stock right now, and to my knowledge they are all new. Asking $800 per.

Tomorrow I'll stop by and give them a look over. If not, I'm really contemplating just getting all the parts and putting it together myself.

9. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter