GUN AR gurus - upper/BCG question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Mar 14, 2009.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I did a little reading on Arfcom and I'm trying to figure out the difference between a plain upper and a FA-capable upper. Also, what's the difference between a FA-capable (vs. not) BCG?

Thx. Refund is almost here and planning to finish my build. :hsughno:

2. The FA carrier has more weight. The idea here is that it slows things down a bit, and has more momentum when it forces a new round into the chamber. Here's an image I stole off the internet.
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left is a SA carrier with an unshrouded firing pin. It is the least desirable setup. The center is a standard SA carrier. This is what you find in most rifles. The right one is a FA carrier.

3. JaimeZX

Gotcha.

Any differences between uppers?

4. Not that I'm aware of.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

There is something with the lower also iirc. It has a section milled away for the auto sear i think.

6. There are high shelf and low shelf receivers. The high shelf receivers have thicker material behind the hole for the safety. They can't accept an auto sear. The low shelf receivers are thinner back there and are capable of taking the auto sear.

7. JaimeZX

Yes, I realize the LOWERS are different. :rofl:

I'm just thinking at some point it'd be fun to have an upper I could slap on a FA lower if I ran across somebody with one at the range. :wiggle:

8. I'd not abuse my barrel with FA fire.

9. JaimeZX

Well, I'll grant you it's unlikely; I'd just like to have the ability.

OK so a few questions, since this is my first build.

I have the stripped lower.
    I will need:
    Bolt - again, thinking the FA kind. Where to get?
    Firing pin - any difference here?
    That angley pin that holds them together with the spring thing that goes up
    Upper receiver - Thinking something Noveske; mebbe 16" w/ full rail
    Trigger group - Thinking mil-spec
    Safety - ?????
    Mag release - ?????
    Buttstock - Thinking Magpul MOE
    ???
    Profit.

Thoughts/comments/recommendations? I can use the riverofguns to hunt for a used upper; what else would you guys say I should get/use?

10. striker754

striker754 Chillin

i think you are thinking a little too much about a fucking ar build. thats just me :)

11. johnson

johnson New Member

Buy a complete BCG and LPK (bcg's are a lot harder to find right now). What direction do you want to take your AR? Budget?

12. You might as well buy the whole BCG together since you don't have any of the parts. You can try CMMG. They list everything on their site as out of stock, but I ordered a spare FA BCG a few weeks ago and I had it in like 4 days. Other than that, keep an eye out at places like Bravo Company and Rainier Arms.

Firing pins are all the same. Just buy standard ones, don't waste money on fancy titanium ones or anything. Actually, your BCG should come with one.

I have no idea what angley pin you are talking about. It it's part of the BCG, it should come with it.

Upper receivers are really all the same, unless you want something with an uncommon option. If you just want a standard flat top, get whatever you can find. Just keep in mind, if the receiver you get has the M4 ramps cut, you'll need a barrel with the M4 cuts. You can use a M4 cut barrel with a receiver that doesn't have the cuts though.

Mil-spec trigger is fine, unless you're shooting for groups or an internet commando you likely won't notice. There are also people that will give a milspec trigger a working-over. You get to keep the reliability and simplicity, and you get a slightly nicer pull. Anyways, this will come in your LPK.

The safety and mag release will come in your LPK too. Unless you have some desire for an ambi safety, just use the one you get.

I really like my CTR stock, but if I were building another rifle, I'd buy the MOE stock. For basically half the price, I'd gladly give up the friction lock and the QD point that I never use.

13. JaimeZX

Thanks guys. I would probably be interested in an ambi safety since I'm a lefty. Also, I figured on getting an upper/barrel assy not separate. I'll just have to price-check everything I'm about to order with y'all since my current AR I bought "whole," as it were and I don't know how much stuff *should* cost. :hs:

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The FA BCG has more weight to it, which some find increases reliability, particularly in <16" guns. The semi carriers are cut out at the back to reduce weight and in some styles, to prevent the use of lightning links.

:o I'm just trying out wap OT, sorry for the repost.

What prices "should" be for NIB tier 1 parts:
    Barreled upper- $450-500
    Compelete BCG- $130
    Stripped lower $120
    LPK- $65
    GI M4 stock and reciever extension- $85

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Some lowers are known as "high" or "low" shelf lowers. The inside of the lower above the safety/selector must be hollowed out to allow the auto sear or RDIAS to be placed. Some semi makes like RRA sell high shelf lowers to prevent these parts from being installed without getting the shelf milled out.

16. JaimeZX

The CMMG LPK has a ton of options when it comes to pistol grips. Which one do I want? :o

17. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

The one on the very right is going to be the fastest though

18. Fastest?

19. JaimeZX

What's your guys' favorite single-point sling? :dunno:

Edit: and after reading a little more, I see that some people say a single-point isn't very convenient for walking around with a weapon, just for CQB... thoughts?

Edit2: If I buy a bolt and LPK here:
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1568100&cat=28&

What else do I need besides the buttstock and upper? Do I need to buy the firing pin still? :dunno:

:o

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  20. I only have experience with a Tactical Tailor 3 pint sling and the Magpul MS2 single point on my AR. The 3 point is nice, but I really didn't like that strap of material running down the side of the gun. The MS2 is nice because it's not in the way of anything. As far as walking around, the idea is that you should still be holding onto the gun so to be ready as quickly as possible. If you want, the MS2 can quickly and easily be converted into a 2 point setup by clipping part of it to the front of the gun.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the troy single point sling is pretty good from what i've read.

if you're looking for comfort while walking a 2 point is hard to beat. check out the vickers blue force (i love mine) and the new magpul MS2 (can be both single and 2 point)

22. JaimeZX

Yah, the MS2 is "coming soon" still but I guess I'm not in a hurry to buy a sling now that I think of it. I guess I need to order the LPK & etc; can you ref my "edit2" question above for my final purchasing decision? :p

:x:

23. If you buy the whole BCG assembly it will come with a firing pin. And yeah, you just need a buttstock kit and an upper.

24. JaimeZX

:cool: Thx. Ordering LPK / Bolt / Charging Handle now. Unless someone replies quickly to say that CMMG stuff is crap in which case I'll look elsewhere. :o

25. JaimeZX

OK looking at another upper.
    Description:
    Noveske N4 light basic upper 14.5" barrel with perm attached vortex flash hider noveske marked troy BUIS, and daniel defense omega rail.

Guy didn't post any pics yet.

Hoping it looks like this:

[​IMG]

He wants $1450 which at first I thought was kind of high but it has the BUIS already so that's one thing I wouldn't have to buy. Thoughts?