GUN AR Croo- Bushmaster vs. Rock River vs. S&W vs...????? Profit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by controvert, Aug 24, 2008.

1. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I'm shopping for an AR (hope to pick one up tomorrow) and have been plagued with the question of which one to start out with? I'd something I can add an Eotech to, and front grip, just need some advice as to what to start out with. Is any brand listed better than the other?

I understand Bushmaster to be fairly nice to start out with. The place I was looking at also has an Armalite AR15 and a few Ar10 (some made by springfield)

Help a nga out. :o:wiggle: TIA

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

out of all those, i would get whichever is the cheapest. For the most part, they are all the same....

3. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

This helps, I appreciate it. I was curious if there were any huge differences in functionality and build quality.

:bigthumb:

4. johnson

johnson New Member

S&W with an Aimpoint.

5. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I have had a lot of luck with my bushmaster and never ran into any problems with it. It is a really solid build too.

6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Generally, they are all the same shit. It comes down to customer service and price.

BM is suppose to have great CS. So does S&W. RR, I havent heard much about them. Except that they are busy as fuck. Rifles are taking 4-6weeks and shit last I heard.

As long as features are similar, pick whichever one you like the best. Logo, name, or whatever.

I personally have a BM. My very first AR. It has been 100% to this day.

7. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

Pardon my ignorance, an accessory rail is easily swapped out, correct?

I see a lot with and without, didn't know if it'd be worth it to just buy one with it on there, then focus on my site and other accessories.

8. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I hear a lot of good things out of BM. A friend of mine has a RR, but for some reason I just don't care for it. It doesn't seem to feel as quality as the others I've had in my grasp. I dunno :hsugh:

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

The standard yhandguards can be removed somewhat easily. Hard to push down that delta ring, but no problems.

If you want rails, there's so many out there. Everybody has their favorites and their likes and dislikes. They are not hard to install, but others require more work.

I'm fan of midlength uppers. It's better than the standard "carbines". I like the look and function of them better.

Middy on left, carbine on right.
    [​IMG]

10. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I'm mainly wanting something I can mount a nice optic on and take to the range. I won't skimp on the optic. I hear the Eotech is a nice contender, what are it's closest (or better) competitors? I hear Acog mentioned regularly.

11. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

Regarding the above pic, I think I'm more interested to the right rifle. Carbine?

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I owned an EOTech. I liked it very much. Optics. Several questions you need to answer for yourself.

Do you want magnification? Or just a regular 1x optic. Or you can add magnification to the regular optics.

Mainly a 100yard or under rifle? I'll stick with an aimpoint or EOTech.

Consistantly at 100yards and higher. Go with some kind of magnification optics. ACOG has a very good reputation. But I'm not too familiar with them.

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Yes, the right has a carbine gas system. They work fine. Like I said, Ive never had a problem with that rifle since day 1.

Also, I would recommend a 16" barrel. So you dont have to worry about having a pinned or welded on FH if you want to swap shit and stuff.

14. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

Cool, good to know.

My usage would mainly be 100yds or less, so I think I'll stick with an Eotech.

Thanks again

15. johnson

johnson New Member

For magnification, ACOG TA11, Accupoint TR21, MeOpta K-dot 1-4x.

This may or may not help you on deciding a red dot.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15/

Here is a chart created by rob_s of m4carbine.net comparing the different Aimpoint models.

A Comp C3 is a great value at ~$375.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  16. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I have owned EOTech's on my AR's and I love them, I would back them up with a good flip up iron site too just in case. I have played around with ACOG's before and they are sick, well worth every penny you will pay, however I would go with what you intend to use the rifle for. Like A96 posted, if its for less than 100 yrds at the range or self defense, EOTech for sure, if you want to do 100 or more often, ACOG is the way to go.

17. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

If you have bad astimatism, you should look through an EOTech before you buy. It will look very bloomy.

Also, EOTech will look fuzzy if you're just looking at the reticle. But that's normal. When you focus on your target, the fuzziness goes away. It's just the way it works.

18. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I have a bad stigmatism (right eye injury), so I will be one of the only guys with the stock to my left shoulder. :hs:

19. Landfill

Landfill New Member

If you are going to shoot lefty, you should probably look at Stag Arms. They probably build the best left handed rifle out there. A friend of mine has one and I have played around with it, very very nice gun.

http://www.stagarms.com/

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats the most ridiculous attempt at advertising i've seen in a while :rofl:

21. johnson

johnson New Member

You dont agree with the numbers? BTW, that's from a military standpoint. :o

I dont think any good instructor would recommend an EOtech over an Aimpoint (Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers are 2).

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Since we're talking about an individual guy and not arming a...well an army, it comes off as ridiculous marketing fluff. If I were I'm not sure I'd count the batteries as being in use 24 hours a day either. Anyway I don't think buying 800 batteries is appropriate to our buying decision. Ymmv. Really I mean the 512 is rated for 1000 hours on lithiums, lets say you only get 500. You shoot every weekend of the year, thats over 9 hours of battery life every shooting day if you change them once a year. Put in rechargeables and charge them every week if it makes you feel good.

I'm not familiar with vickers statements but rogers are something along the lines of he has seen failures of older eotechs but nothing of the recent revisions and personally prefers the aimpoint. Sounds reasonable enough and not damning of eotech, at least to me.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  23. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I went with S&W.

But I just wanted a reputable brand and fitted just the way I want and that gun happened to be the S&W M&P15T.

24. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I just ordered the S&W M&P15R, shoots 5.45x39, which is 160.00 less per 1,000 rounds than .223 or 5.56.

If you're just going to the range, it might not be a bad choice. I don't ever plan on playing GI-Joe, so a good gun that fires cheap readily available ammo works for me.

25. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I'm the proud new owner of a Stag AR15 as of today :wiggle:

Went to check one out and figured it was the best thing for me due to my eye sight. Also picked up an Eotech while I was there and a front grip. ;)