GUN AR Crew...Whatchu think of this deal?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copeland, May 28, 2009.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

This is for sale, local to me...Looks like a solid platform to get into the AR scene...

For sale is my AR15. It has a Stag lower, and a Bushmaster upper. The upper has a 14.5" H Barrel (1/9 Twist), Troy quad railing, and a flash suppressor. This gun has been taken care of, but shows signs of use (the brass deflector etc.) I am including 5 mags with it, which will get you going. I will let you decide what sort of sights you want to use on it.

It comes with:

4x LAR15 Mags, one has Tac pull base
    1x 5/30 Round Mag
    1x Red Laser, It isn't a brand name one, but it's OK for a cheap one. Comes with 2 attachments for the on/off switch.

$1560 Cdn roughly 1388 USD

How is that for pricing? If it's even reasonable I'll probable take it...theses are restricted rifles in Canada so the value is slighlty more inflated...especially with your gov't hatin' on Canucks and refusing to export alot of stuff to us....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. copeland

the fuck on?

3. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

4. I'm not a fan of heavy barrels if you intend to actually carry the thing for an extended period of time. Other than that, the price seems reasonable if it's something restricted. I'd ditch the VFG and laser though.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

H-Bar FTL
    1/9 FTL

i wouldnt pay over a grand :dunno:

6. I agree about the H Bar, but really, what's wrong with 1:9? Don't just simply say "well, they can't shoot the heavier bullets." Tell me why a rifle like this needs a 1:7.

7. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

1/9 is fine for that type of rifle.

8. copeland

I went and looked at it. I was impressed. I'm hoping to do the transfer Saturday.

I was impressed at the quality of the bore and craftsman ship in materials. It shows signs of use but it's nothing duracoat or the like won't fix.

A new Imperial defence ar will gor for about 1400 cdn so the extra cash for Bush/Stag and troy components seem worthwhile.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats exactly why. we've talked about this before (maybe not you and i, but WMD as a whole). 1:7 stabilizes heavier bullets better.

and what does a rifle "like this" mean? its an AR15 carbine why WOULDNT you want to be able to shoot the heaviest bullets better?

10. 1:7 is needed to stabilize bullets in the > 85gr range. Those can't be fed through a STANAG magazine. The reason the .mil uses 1:7 is to stabilize the very long tracer rounds they use. They're seated deep into the case so they fit the mags. Other than that, there's no reason to use 1:7 unless you're shooting very long range and single loading rounds. People see the 1:7 military barrels and they want them for themselves, so manufacturers make them.

1:9 will easily stabilize bullets in the 69 grain range, and many people report that their 1:9 barrels shoot the 75 and 77 grain stuff just fine. Further, for use inside 500 yards, there is no disadvantage to using the 69 grain stuff. Seeing as most people rarely shoot their ARs past 100 yards, using the heavy match bullets is totally unnecessary. Really, even up to about 300 yards, bullets lighter than 60 grains are just as capable of extreme accuracy as the real heavy stuff that people on the internet think they need.

11. For the sake of the discussion, here's 2 charts showing two Black Hills loads. One is their 69gr SMK and the other is their 77gr SMK.

This is the drop comparison. Note that they're virtually identical up to about 500 yards. That's well beyond the useful range of a carbine like the one we're discussing.

[​IMG]

Here's the wind drift chart for a 10mph wind at 90° to the bullet path. We see a little more differentiation here, but even at 400 yards it's a matter of about 5 inches. Not exactly a big deal, especially for this type of carbine which would likely not ever see that kind of range. At 200 yards it's what, an inch different?

[​IMG]

My point with all of this is that while people on the internets will bitch and moan about anything that's not 1:7 they generally are speaking before they actually learn what it all means. It would be a shame to pass up a decent rifle because it didn't have an unnecessarily fast twist rate.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

point taken.

however the price is still too high for what it is :hsd:

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Bout $900 worth of parts. But I don't claim to know the CDN market for ARs. If you're happy with the gun and have the money to pay it, then it's worth it.

14. copeland

so I bought it. Took the upper home, have to wait for processing for the lower...Canadian gun laws are retarded

15. How long does it usually take? What are the restrictions on the gun up there?

16. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

5 round mags? WTFG?

17. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I see you bought it already - keep in mind that LXGD laser is from Dealextreme.com and probably cost about six bucks :o I've bought from them before. Sometimes their stuff is ok, sometimes it's crap.

18. copeland

prohibited: Only people with licenses before 1992 (approx) can own certain weapons judged by barrel length.

Restricted: ALL Handguns with a barrel length of a minimum requirement, 10 round capacity. Certain semi autos, which have no rhyme or reason. AR15's are restricted but the mini14 is not - they all have a limit of 5 rounds. All restricted weapons are only eligible to go to the range. Though some calibers can be used in handguns for defense in the bush when a rifle/shotgun is not practical...think it starts at the 10mm.

Non-restricted: All other bolt action/Semi auto rifles and shotguns. Shotguns don't technically have a round limitation. all rifles are five rounds max.

the legislation gets more retarded the further you read.

19. copeland

yea I didn't even want the laser...I'll probably remove it and use it for something else...The VFG is comfortable, don't know if I'll keep it. Right now I'm looking for decent site for it's range.

20. copeland

Ugh just got raped on ammo. Visiting parents so stopped in at local gun shop...12 bucks a box of winchester.

.68 cents each :ugh::wtc:

oh well, couple hundred rounds to get me started...