GUN AR crew v.Problem with new build

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Original Sin, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

I was just putting my AR together and after installing my RRA NM trigger, did a test check of it. No matter what setting I have the selector switch on, the trigger does not release the hammer. Even when on "fire", the trigger does not come up high enough in the rear to release (though it does come up higher than when on "safe"). I pulled the selector switch out, and the trigger group works just fine.

What am I missing here?

2. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i'm betting you accidentally got shipped an AR-10 group by accident. they are different.

without more details i can't advise any better. but that is my first guess.

what brand lower?

3. Original Sin

Lower is Mega
    LPK is RRA

4. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

mega is good quality. i'm sure the issue does not lie there.

do you have or had the regular trigger? just to try it out?

i'm the new guy so i have no idea if this is the 1st or 40th lower you have built, but are you sure everything's kosher in the lower?

all your springs and detents are in propper place, and all that jazz?

5. Original Sin

Nope, when I bought the LPK, i chose to upgrade the FCG.
    I've done a few before, but not for a few years, and all the previous ones started off as complete rifles (I just broke them down and put them back together during cleaning).

Odd little update: If I knock the hammer pin half way out, it all seems to work perfectly. So it would seem to be binding up.

6. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

again, it sounds like they sent you the wrong trigger group. i've been racking my brain, and that is all i can come up with. sorry. :rolleyes:

if you know your way around a LPK and a lower and didn't install nothing bass-ackwards, then it does not sound like it is your fault.

i hope someone else knows more than me, just so they can help ya out. i just don't see how knocking the hammer pin half way out solves anything, and i just knocked the hammer pin half ways out of my carbine to try to solve the question for ya. i'm stumped too. :o

everything else functions ok? the selector switch engages and "clicks" good between safety and fire?

i'm just fumbling for sticks here, so bear with me, but if you rack the bcg, does the buffer stay in the tube? does the mag catch work correctly?

if your answers are all yes, then i'm gonna guess again that they accidentally sent you an AR-10 group on accident. :p

ETA: something just hit me over the top of the head like a hammer, but is your hammer spring on correctly? you mentioned binding, and that is what made me think of it. it sounds like the spring might, just might, be rotated wrong. but it's only a guess....???

7. Original Sin

Yes to all of the above. I emailed RRA in hopes they can help. If it comes down it, I'll just go pick up a stock FCG and drop in for testing.

8. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

eh? typo, or what? fcg? whadz dat? :eek3:

bcg?

i wish i could help more, but i'm plum stuck for opinions.

sorry man. i reckon you did the right thing by contacting them. i hope they can help you out.

if you need a bcg to test out, just PM me and i can send you one of mine just to try out to see if it works. :bigthumb:

ETA: OR, if you might need a new LPK, i have a couple laying around just waiting on new uppers that i would not hessitate to send out if you need them to try out. just let me know.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Fire Control Group. Wish I could help, but I've never experienced this before.

10. Original Sin

No thanks man, it's cool. I'll just order up another LPK. It would be good to have spare parts on hand anyhow.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Id take the entire fcg out and put it back together very carefully. Be sure its the right detent and its facing the direct direction, that the disconnector is on the right way, the springs are where they should be, the hammer spring isn't on backwards, etc. Maybe its perfect and something is wrong, maybe you just a missed a small detail.

12. Original Sin

Well, I received my new LPK today. I simply installed the stock trigger group and everything is working perfectly. I still have not heard back from RRA about my concerns though. Here's a pic of my RRA NM 2 stage trigger group as it came out of my lower receiver (Maybe I've messed something and someone can point it out ot me). Also, are there any concerns with using the oversized pins from the RRA NM setup with the stock trigger group? I did, and it feels fine (but I have field tested it yet).

[​IMG]
    and yes, the whole unit seems to be one piece now. I knock out the two pins and it fell out like this. In hind sight, I should've released the hammer before knocking the pins out I suppose.

13. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i can't noticiably tell that anything is set up wrong, but today was my b-day and i've been drinking, so i'll check again tomorrow when things aren't blurry.

i'm just glad you it working, that's the important part. :thumbsup:

14. Original Sin

Happy Birthday

:werd: I'll worry about a new trigger later...now to go find a nice fire road to drive up and have some fun :)

15. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

gotta find a place to shoot? :eek3:

bummer. if you were closer we could shoot off the front porch, or the back, it doens't matter which one.

i hope RRA gets back with you. i'll be curious as to the CS response to your problem.

just be glad your problem was what it was, and not like that poor guy who's AR went FA on him and he wound up serving hard time. :ugh:

16. Original Sin

I've got places to shoot, but all the property owners I know are out of town or working this weekend and we don't have any decent ranges around, so I can just drive 15 minutes in any direction and be near a fire road. If I didn't think the boaters would mind, I would shoot the trees across the river from me (or try to). I bet the passengers on the dinner cruise sternwheeler would get pissed off. I still have to go see if any of my local retailers even stock 6.8spc. Last time out, I didn't spot any.