GUN AR Crew: Short barreled-uppers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Seeing as theres a future LMT groupbuy in the works, I'm looking at a 10.5 or 14.5 barreled upper. What is the NFA ruling on SBR uppers? I'm going to be transferring my residency to MO soon so I can own a SBR with the proper paperwork and a FFL 03 C&R. Since the lower is what's registered as the NFA weapon, could I legally buy the SBR upper and not put it on anything until I have the proper registered lower? :o

2. chakup

chakup Guest

yes/no.

The super duper safe bet is to wait until paperwork is all done, the semi safe bet is to buy the upper and store it somewhere else until paperwork is done. The 99% chance you won't get caught but if you do will be expensive to prove bet is store it in your home and do not mount until approved.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If for some reason you have to buy it before the paperwork clears, keep the short barreled upper at a friends house who doesn't own guns. Like Chakup said, you probably won't get caught but why even buy it until your papers come back?

4. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

ATF sees that as constructive intent if you have possession of both the upper and lower. Best bet is to wait until you have na approved Form 1 or keep the upper or lower at a dealers etc.

OTH, I thought MO only allowed C&R NFA stuff?

5. Willie J

Willie J New Member

what if u can prove that u were waiting for a pistol application and u lower hasnt been outfitted with a buffer tube yet?

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Why even go through the hassle? Seems like a lot of work just so you can have a useless upper gather dust until your paperwork comes back.

7. chakup

chakup Guest

My argument, but I don't have the funds to fight ATF on it. I obviously had n ointent on breaking the law since I've payed the $200 and submitted the paperwork, but again I'd just play it safe and store somewhere else.

8. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Ask the ATF, not me.

Sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth. All though you do see a lot of people buying "pistol Lowers" so they can have their short upper all ready.

Personally, a lack of patience is what I see is the main problem.

9. Willie J

Willie J New Member

if i buy a, ar pistol, can i then strip the lower send it off for tagging and wait for the paper work, then buy a new buffer tube and stock to make it a SBR when the paper comes in? i've wanted to SBR one of these for a while now
    [​IMG]

10. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Beats me, I dont see why not. It's a pistol and still a pistol until a Form 1 is approved.

11. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i've wanted a SBR, but a 5.56 sbr seems like im losing to much for what i'm gaining. maybe i should stop wasting my monies on guns.....

12. chakup

chakup Guest

There's no waste, a 10.5" upper is fabulous and great to shoot.

13. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (jesusphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

First off, MO allows all NFA weapons except silencers but you must have a FFL 03. Little weird but w/e. The gray area is the constructive intent. I already have a complete ar15, and seeing their view on possession of a Dias and AR, I'm sure they wouldnt like that I've got an sbr upper and full lower since it could easily be swapped on. Same deal with the ps90. You can possess the short barrel and the gun and the ATF are okay, as long as you havent tampered with the pin holding the barrel on. I'd have my dad buy and store it for me but he's an IL resident where they allow no NFA weapons. However an upper isn't the weapon.....fuck these convoluted laws! :o

14. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Hmm, everything Ive seen says unless you have an FFL, only C&R items are transferrable to MO residents. Does the C&R FFL qualify you to buy any NFA?

15. chakup

chakup Guest

OK- then buy the upper now and I'll hold onto it and ship when you want me to :)

16. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

This is the link I've been going off of: http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

Looks like you have to be an FFL holder to get NFA weapons and a FFL 03 C&R qualifies in Missouri. :hsd:

This could also be misinformation and I'd be pissed for getting my hopes up. :wtc:

17. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'll keep that in mind come GB time! :cool:

18. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I am in the process of building a 7.5 incher (9mm) on a Form 1. Should be complete in the next three or so weeks.

Whats the URL for the 10.5"/14" group buy?

19. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

So would having a 10.5" AR pistol and a midlength AR in the same house be considered "constructive intent" ? Both would have their own lower receivers.

20. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

No idea. I have two houses so I can store one half at one, and the other half at the other.... My honest feelings are that you won't have any problems as long as you don't take the two halves out in public, to a range, etc.... until you get the Form 1 completed.

21. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I would say no IF the pistol lower is properly registered and both guns have their own lowers. It's having only one lower and two uppers that causes the problem as the uppers can be readily swapped in and out.

I guess there will always be some sort of "constructive intent" surrounding AR's simply because of their modular nature, so its tough to say. :o

22. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

:werd: This is correct. In the state of Missouri, you have to possess a FFL in order to own ANY NFA items. This FFL can be a Type 01 or Type 03, which the C&R FFL, is a Type 03 FFL. Once you possess the FFL, you submit the paperwork, and have the CLEO sign it, or do the trust thing.

23. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

ZCP M3, You may also want to look into CMMG, as they make lots of SBR goodies in the AR format. They're local to MO, and could directly transfer to you and take care of all the paperwork. They're located in Fayette, MO.