GUN AR Crew... railed forends

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Dec 22, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm looking at one of the Stag M4gery kits. Are there any advantages to a railed forend if you don't really plan on a VFG or tac-lights or anything? I'll probably mount an optic someday like an EOTech or Aimpoint, but those are typically mounted to the upper(assuming A3/A4) right?

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

there's no advantage if you're not gonna mount anything on it. they are cool looking though. i have nothing mounted on my railed handguards, just rail covers that make it more comfortable to hold. i have nothing on them now but it's nice to know that i can if i want.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

The kit from Stag come with a standard handguard, but at least one of the vendors offers an installed quadrail upgrade. I'll probably just go with the standard handguard I guess.

This is just going to be a plinker, and I might use if there are any 3 gun matches in the area. I had grand plans of doing some nice custom build but decided I should get my feet wet with a basic rifle first.

4. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

if ur not mounting anything the only upside is it floats the barrel...but my understanding is that the minimal accuracy increase youd get from doing so isnt really worth the cost especially on a 16" carbine barrel.