GUN AR crew... question on building

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Nov 15, 2006.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

So I want to build an AR for my dad's X-mas present this year....

I know it all depends on what you want in a rifle, etc, but I have been looking for price mostly. I found SARCO has some original issue parts kits for the M16 (pre-A1) along with some other stuff.

Question is, how much would I need to finish one of these?

http://www.sarcoinc.com/m16.html

I am not familiar enough with the bill of materials for an AR/M16 to know how much it is lacking.

Is it as simple as buying a bare lower and throwing the parts on it for "kit #1"
    How about the second one, would I just need complete lower and some furniture?

I'm really just fishing for a little education right now, it seems like too good of a price to be true if I can really build an AR for that little money....

TIA

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If I'm reading correctly, and recalling my law correctly, you will not be able to possess the disconnector, or selector in that kit. A M16 bolt carrier is okay to use, but IIRC, all other trigger parts will still be considered "machineguns" if they are from a M16, even though by themselves they won't allow full auto fire. That's why they state that " all NFA rules apply".

Kit #2 ought to be ok, you just need to go to AR15.com and find yourself an A1 lower, lower parts kit, bolt, carrier, charging handle, and furniture.