GUN AR crew, I need help v. Severe bolt jam

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

So as you all know I recently bought a CMMG bargain bin rifle, and 500rnds of Silverbear from the Columbia, MO gunshow. Well I finally got to take it to the range today and test it out/sight it in. First two mags run fine, and I'm about halfway into my 3rd mag and I hear a click when I pulled the trigger. I wasn't out, so I go to rack the charging handle. It didn't move. I hit the foward assist. It doesn't move. So at this point I'm perplexed as those two things should at least make the bolt move a little bit.

So I try to pull on the charging handle as hard as I could, nothing. I tried to pull the lower off, and lo and behold it doesn't come off because the bolt isn't fully forward in battery. the bolt lugs are meshed with the barrel lugs, but not forward and twisted to lock into battery. Oh, and thanks to Mr. Stoner's fantabuouls:ugh: design, the lower doesn't come off since it won't go into battery. I've done everything I can think of, including taking the rear stock off. Nothing. I don't know if it's due to ammo, or if it's a gun malfunction. I can't see how it would be ammo, unless it's an out of spec round and jammed in the chamber and the extractor is stuck around the head of the round. If I can't figure it out, i'll have to take it to a gunshop, which I don't want to knowing it's got less than 100 rnds through it, and it's a new gun.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Shitty rifle paired with shitty ammo == massive failure. Despite the price I stayed far fucking away from those rifles.

Don't blame him. It's a great design. But it's also a precision design. It's not some stamped-receiver shitty AK. There arn't mile-long tolerances. But when you take care of your rifle, it takes care of you.

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Is there a round/case stuck in the chamber? Any pictures?

4. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

if you can get a screwdriver infront of the bolt throught he ejection port pry the bolt back. Only other option is to take the stock off and grab the bc with locking plyers and yank back.

5. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

alright ,what i say might sound like you're going to fuck up your rifle, but do this.

Hit the back of the buttstock against the ground firmly. Try to do this while pulling back on the charging handle also. Make sure the rifle isnt pointed at anything while doing this, incase for whatever reason, a round goes off.

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

sucks dude.
    In for answer.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If it really is stuck:
    Squirt a shitload of lube in your ejection port. Without pointing the rifle at anything you don't want to destroy, set the rifle on the buttstock and stomp down on your charging handle. That usually works.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

got any pictures?

maybe try asking in the troubleshooting forums at ARFCOM

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

might have to hit it a couple of times.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Worked!... I put the stock back on. pulled on the charging handle and beat the butt on the ground. Came free after about 4 good smacks.

I think I've figured out what the problem may have been after some reading on arfcom. Apparently since the chamber tolerances are tight, you're supposed to run only brass ammo through it during break in. I guess the zinc plated steel cased ammo was out of spec.

Accord, PM me for an addy where I can paypal you somethin.

I'll be ordering some Privi Surplus shortly, does anyone know if that's a problem?

11. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

The rifle isn't the best, but it's not an olympic. Yes the ammo isn't the best either, but it still shouldn't result in a jam that hard.

And when I was mocking Stoner's design, I was referring to the fact that you can't separate or access the internals of the rifle without the bcg being fully locked forward into battery. I understand the tolerances thing, and that's not what I was dogging, though that ended up actually being the problem.

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

That's alright, just glad I can help. :h5:

And yes, CMMG are known for tight chambers. The Privi ammo is suppose to be pretty good ammo.

PS, was the jammed cartridge, was it a loaded 1, or empty? And is it still stuck in the chamber?

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

An additional word of advice for any future times you need to do this. If you have a collapsible stock, put it all the way in before you slam it down so you have less chance of breaking it.

Prvi's been good stuff for me in several calibers.

14. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I'm tempted to pick up a CMMG barrel, instead of buying a brand i like, and having it turned down to the profile I want.

This way, i can save over $150. :noes::run:

But I'm hesitant, cuz it is CMMG afterall. :o

15. chakup

chakup Guest

ha I was going to say the same thing. learned it last time out.

and yes, prvi is putting out some good ammo by all accounts.

16. more off

more off Moderator

shouldve gotten a mini 14

17. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

:ugh:

18. chakup

chakup Guest

should have thrown rocks at a barn.

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

:h5: Thanks.

The jammed cartridge was loaded, which is why it made me mad, since I was messing with a live round, OOB. I flipped right out once the bolt came free.

I'll be picking up about 800rnds to fill the mags I just ordered.

Again, thanks everyone on OT:hug:.

OT-WMD>* I looked on ar15.com under the trouble shooting and searched and still couldn't find anything.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:ugh:

ib10pages

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I've shot and bumped a Mini14. They're ok, but accuraccy was lacking and I don't like non-pistol grip rifles for battle rifles.

22. Willie J

Willie J New Member

this just happened to one of my friend's .308 DPMS and my other friend's bushy varminter. both jammed, with a loaded round. the .308 was using 5/81 surplus and the bushy steel wolf. its an odd coincidence that both rifles seized using cheap ammo. the jury is still out on what cause the jam, but both were resolved by holding the charging handle and striking the butt to the floor(both loaded)

23. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

My dad's been trying to get me to get a mini14 and a nice scope to go on it instead of building a M4gery for a Jeep gun (don't have a truck right now, so it's a jeep gun) "Because they're more reliable." While I like mini14s just fine as a ranch rifle for snakes and coyotes, a M4gery has more appeal for the comfort factor of the design, and I know that if you take care of your rifle, it'll return the favor.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

[​IMG]

25. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

I've seen this happen before with a frankenAR. Glad you could resolve it