GUN AR crew I need HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Jul 8, 2007.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Guys, I had my ar out at the range and it tried to load a cartridge as the empty casing was ejecting. It did this one time and I cleared it. I went to fire the gun and it jammed. This time it really jammed. I can't get the bolt? to pull back and eject the round. It is completly jammed. What can I do here? I got the lower off the gun, but still can't get the bolt to move back...it won't close all the way either...it is completly fucked.

Here are two quick pics I snapped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

You could have a small piece of brass jammed into the bolt-lug/breech (for lack of the proper term). You know, where the bolt lugs lock into the breech? I have had that happen once, and it jammed consistently until I cleared the rifle of the debris. You could also have a bent/broken bolt lug, which could be jamming the bolt closed. Try putting some CLP in there, getting it into the breech as best as you can. If that doesnt work, you could try gently heating that part of the rifle, so that the receiver will expand slightly allowing the bolt more room to get free.

EDIT:

After re-reading what you wrote I have to ask, does the bolt move at all? If if moves a little bit, but not very far in either direction you may have bent or distorted the bolt retention grooves.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Well I guess the problem is the whole bolt carrier and bolt. The bolt itself doesn't move...it is locked fully forward...the bolt carrier wiggles but won't move. I'm worried about the round in the chamber though. Can that go off from me moving the bolt around?

4. Ghostrider4450

Oh wow, I didnt know about the live round. You should treat the upper as if it was cocked and locked until you get it open. So definately NIX the heating idea, thats a recipe for disaster. If you can try to rotate the lugs so that it unlocks from the breech, you could get it loose. There is a pin with a flat head on the left hand side of the bolt (looking from the back of the rifle) that rotates with the lug locks and is about 15mm back from the bolt face. Try to move this pin backwards and down to release the bolt. As far as the round going off, the firing pin strikes with the momentum/inertia from the bolt flying forward and stopping, thus pushing the pin into the breech. As long as you dont slam the bolt hard, you should be fine. Just keep it pointed in a safe direction.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I put some clp around where the bolt locks into place....I'm going to try and pull it back with the bolt carrier after the clp soaks in for a few minutes.

6. Ghostrider4450

Read my edits as well.

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The pin you are talking about....is that the pin on my bottom picture that is all the way on the left?

8. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

that happened to me.

Take a screw driver, a flat head and put the upper pointing up and the rec on the ground and barrel pointing up. Put something under the tip of the screwdriver like a tshirt or something and put it on the u part of the bolt in the back and tap it with a hammer lightly and it will come out.

What happened to me was the bolt grabbed the bullet but a piece of metal or something wedged the bullet in the barrel with it and made it stick, just 2 light taps and it came out.

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'm going to give that a shot now. :x::noes:

10. Ghostrider4450

Ah I just looked at my rifle, and the pin im referring to is not visible when the bolt is in the gun. If you try Thomor's suggestion, be really careful with a live round in the chamber. Keep playing with it, and look at the places where it would logically make sense to have the bolt bind.

11. thomor25

yeah it happened to me after using my ciener kit, some melted lead was in the barrel.

12. thomor25

yeah make sure the barrel is pointed away from your head assuming its a 16 in barrel and not like a 24 or something.

13. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

YES!!!! I got it. Thanks for the tips thormor and ghostrider. The bullet is still in there I'm just going to poke it out.

14. thomor25

yeah drop a cleaning rod down the barrel and it will fall out.

15. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

ok another problem presented itself. The bullet is in there and the casing is dented where the firing pin hit it at the range...however the round didn't go off...is it safe to push it out using a cleaning rod from the front of the barrel?

16. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I put the cleaning rod down the barrel and the round won't come out....i pushed with a little force and got nothing. Is it safe to tap the cleaning rod with a hammer?

17. thomor25

yeah, drop the cleaning rod and have it pointed away when you drop it.

18. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Ok, I got it. The bullet was gone, so I guess it was fired at the range, and then it jammed during extraction.

19. thomor25

yeah cause you are tapping the head of the bullet not the primer

20. thomor25

oh makes sense, now just give it an overall good cleaning, it would also be good to pick up a barrel/chamber mop for an ar.

21. Ghostrider4450

I would place the rod in the barrel, then put the end of the rod on the ground. Just tap the back of the receiver until it pops out. Some more CLP down the barrel should help.

22. Ghostrider4450

Okay, good to see you got it taken care of. That shit is annoying, so def keep an eye on the breech for debris and residue.

23. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

any idea of why this would happen. The same thing happened last time I took it to the range..but I was able to get the bolt loose without all this hardship. I clean it everytime I take it out...and I've been shooting wolf for a while. Any ideas. I had 3 jams where the spent casing and the new bullet were both in the gun while the bolt was lodged back...and then I had this happen where the bolt locks shut with the spent casing in the chamber.

24. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

My brother had the exact same thing happen while shooting wolf.

25. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest