GUN AR co-witness picture...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Oct 1, 2008.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Can anyone post a picture of a standard A2 front sight with something like an aimpoint or eotech optic mounted? I'm trying to get an idea of the sight picture with both the A2 sight and the optic co-witnessing. In my mind it seems like it would be hard to get used to...did anyone have any problems with it?

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

srsly, 1 minute on google images

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/AFreeMan/EotechCowitness2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/AFreeMan/EotechCowitnessMangonel.jpg

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

My M2 + ADM Cantilever mount = Lower 1/3 cowitness:
    [​IMG]

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Here is my problem with co witness. Generally the iron sights are set up for usage with a proper cheek weld on a rifle. Thus if you do a 1/3 co witness the optics sit really high. It is just not natural as you have to do a chin weld, akward cheek weld, or shoot sith no cheek weld

If you shoot a rifle like a rifle (precision extended range) the co witness shights can affect your hold over or your adjustments.

I'm a big fan of side mounted secondary optics. Many more benifits. You can set each up for what they do best. and it is faster than going ot flip up, or adjusting your head.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So what do you think about the side mount deal Yar? It's certainly the standard for three gun, wonder why it hasn't caught on with other shooting paradigms (IE, "work" guns)? I really don't have any experience with the side mount stuff, but I always thought it seemed like a snookum idea. I personally don't care for the co-witness stuff for exactly the same reasons you were talking about; I also don't care for shit obstructing part of my view.

Perhaps just a gap between cutting edge (game guns), and old methodology (combat rifles)?

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've not tried any red dots on risers but my understanding is to get the eotech or something up to lower 1/3rd distance we're talking like .25" of rise. Is that really enough to screw things up?

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you want to be fast. Yes it is. For me I might do all kinds of weird stuff like adjust my cheek weld or blink, or think. There is something special when your eyes focus and you see the dot on the target and your brain get bypassed and 2 shots are ripped my muscle memory.

8. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Seems like i have seen pics of your guns set up that way...but i can't remember, which side do you mount the optics on? Also, short of mounting them on a 4 rail hand guard, how would you mount them?

**Edit- Do you mind reposting pics of your setup?

9. kds000

kds000 New Member

you could mount them using an offset rail.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The military is presently experimenting with a side mounted doctor sight. My buddy Bevin from Grams Engineering is making them for a contract for the guys overseas and is really really busy. The troops seem to love them.