GUN AR Carry Handle Sight Aperture

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Are there only 2 different sight apertures for the carry handle sights? The one that came with my rifle has a small hole and then when you flip it, it's got an even smaller hole. My brother has a aperture on his AR that has a large hole and a medium hole. Are there more than these 2 apertures? I did some reading and people seem mostly to talk about the A1 and A2 apertures, but I'm not totally clear on which is which.

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I believe the A1 and A2 designations have more to do with the carry handle and sight design than the aperture size but I may be wrong. IIRC there are a few companies that make National Match rear sights which might have a smaller aperture.

3. I think mine must be the national match aperture. It's so small it's impossible to see through unless you're in a bright environment. Do you know if there's only 1 other aperture?

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I can't say for sure since I really don't know that much about AR iron sights, if you know the manufacturer or can post pictures maybe someone else will have some more info.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Did you buy the carry handle yourself? Is it an A2 carry handle (built into upper receiver) or is it detachable? What you're talking about doesn't sound like a factory sight, the couple ARs I've shot have had large apertures that are good maybe to 25-50 yards and one maybe have the size that is good for 100 yards.

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

The aperture irons on my removable carry handle have a 0-200 aperture and flip to a 300+ aperture. I've always wondered about that 200-300 range... :noes:

7. The carry handle came with the upper from CMMG. It's an A3 upper, so the handle's removable. I've just never seen such a small aperture. As to the designation of A1 and A2 for the carry handle... it's not the same as an A1 and A2 upper. The A1 carry handle is only adjustable for elevation, the A2 is adjustable for windage and elevation. If you have a flat to A3 upper and you have a detachable carry handle that's adjustable for windage and elevation, you have an A2 handle.

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I didn't realize there was that much damn variation. The one you posted is issue. The larger ring is ostensibly for night shooting, to allow more light to the pupil... although without a fucking tritium FSP, you're just dicking around splitting hairs.