GUN AR builders... how do you document "build date?"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Nov 15, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Are you guys doing anything to document the "build date", with regard to a potential new/reinstated AWB?

I'm getting ready to order up a couple of lowers and start my first build... From my research regarding 94' AWB and what constitutes pre-ban/post-ban, the the date of manufacture on the lower doesn't mean shit, its the date that the "complete rifle" was assembled. So how does an individual building a rifle from parts document the date of assembly, with regard to establishing the "complete rifle" as built "pre-ban 2.0".

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

of course the date of mfg doesn't mean shit, that doesn't prove you owned the lower at that time.

methinks a receipt with the date of purchase and the s/n of the lower would be sufficient.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

If a future AWB is anything like the last AWB then the date of purchase and s/n of the lower won't mean shit either... since its not features of the of the lower that are regulated, only the "complete rifle".

From what I understand you'd need to be able to provide proof of a "date of assembly" of the completed rifle for it be "grandfathered" in as pre-ban. Just like during the AWB if you had a "pre-ban" stripped lower it didn't mean you could then build a rifle with more than two of the evil features during the ban... the rifle as a whole had to pre-date the ban.

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

take a picture with a date stamp :dunno:

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

have a matching s/n etched into the upper, write up a document stating that both are attached to each other, bring document to notary to be notarized?

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Pretty good idea... something along those lines coupled with dated reciepts proving all the evil features were purchased pre-ban might be the best you could do. :dunno:

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

As I understand it this has never been a problem for people in the past. The burden of proof would be to prove that you didn't have it assembled and I don't think they ever tried to do that. I think you're making up problems.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

Maybe I'm a little paranoid about it but I don't think I'm "making up problems"... I just tend to tread lightly when an honest mistake could put me in violation of federal fireams laws.

Plus, I'm not a fedral law expert or anything, but I know in Michigan that "burden of proof" is usually case law / statute based, so that could go either way.

Anyway, just a thought since most people seem to concede that we'll be seeing some form of ban again, might as well be as prepared as possible to keep what ya got.

9. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Honest mistakes killed Randy Weaver's family.

10. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I think that the best way for you to do that would be tpo take a picture of the completed rifle. Then maybe get it developed with a date on the back.

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

If by honest mistakes you mean ATF setups then yes.

12. drm600

drm600 New Member

better yet is to take a picture of the completed rifle with a copy of the daily newspaper, send the picture to yourself though the mail and do not open the envelope making sure the postmark is intact.

13. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

And then putting it in a time capsule :hsugh:

I thought of the news paper thing, but figured it may not hold up in court since the newspaper could be old in the picture
    If you have an LEO friend, you can show it to him, and then he would be able to to be witness to it being completed before the ban

14. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

no he's right

drm600 is coming from a copyright perspective

if you write a book and do exactly as drm600 says, that process becomes a court recognised legal document - the postmark is your seal of legality

whether the ATF take that stance is another matter

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Make no mistake, it was illegal then, and it would probably be illegal again in the future. It doesn't mean you'll be caught though. Show me 1 person prosecuted for it though in 10 years. Now I'm not saying you should break the law, or that I would break the law, just that those people who bought lowers didn't have completed matching uppers in time.

16. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Well, the previous law did not require you to have built the gun. Possession of enough parts to make it an AW was sufficient. So, an AR lower and a CAR stock and buffer tube with receipts should do it. The pg and CAR stock were 2 features, so it was an AW without anything else.