GUN AR builders, enter.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WiLL, May 16, 2006.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Hi. I am going to get my Double Star receiver in a couple weeks. I want to start researching the uppers / lowers / and buttstock. Can someone tell me about them? What to look for? What brands? A1? A2?...

:o

Thanks.

2. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Buy a lower parts kit. Should be around $60 shipped.
    Also what is the purpose of this rifle? Do you like the carbine stock or midlength or full length? If getting a 20+" barrel I would reccomend an a2 stock. Anything shorter and I like the look of the telescopic stock more. Most brands will work.

I personally went with:
    $185 - Doublestar Lower Reciever
    $065 - Rock River Arms lower parts kit
    $.56 - Mag Lock :)
    $018 - Rock River Arms Hogue grip
    $052 - Doublestar CAR buttstock
    $013 - LMT Buffer and Spring
    $435 - RRA 16" Midlength A4 Upper
    $070 - Aimpoint Clone
    $010 - Homemade 3 pt sling
    And I still need to order a Troy rear BUIS for $140

I would reccomend you signing up at ar15.com and read everything. Sine you are in California you can also check Calguns.net. Check out both of their for sale sections and research on brands. It basically depends on your budget. You can build one at les than $600 or more than $2000.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

yah, what he said. as for the cost, I have seen them built for about 500 bucks, and I know atleast one of mine will be more than 2k once I get a good scope for it (6.5 Grendel 24" upper, 2 stage trigger, ACE skeleton stock, bipod, optics)

4. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

:fawk:

5. Furner

Furner New Member

shit you can spend that much on a barrel. It is outragous what some people are willing to pay for rifle parts these days. I saw a "SPR muzzle brake" for almost $1000

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you plan to put optics on the upper? If not go with an A1 or A2 upper, whether or not you want to build your upper is upto you you can buy a complete one or buy all the parts and build it. RRA or Stag lower parts kit is what I'd get to finish off the lower, buttstock if your going with a 20" barrel(get chrome lined no matter what size barrel you choose) I'd personally use an A2 stock, 16" you can go with a CAR/M4 style or better yet a magpul.. wait your in cali? Are you allowed to have a collaspible stock?

7. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

a3 with carry handel would be a better idea incase he wantes to add optics later.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That works too im not much of a fan of the detachable handles though, I rather have flip up BUIS even though ends up costing twice as much as the detachable handle.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

i got rid of my detach handle because the screws that you turn to attach it kept snagging on everything. sling, clothes, everything
    i went to an A2 upper, but now I want to go back to an A3 with flip-up buis and some sort of optic

10. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I plan to put optics on there. I dont know what the differences with the A1, A2...uppers are? Are the only differences the flat top, carry handle? I will probably buy a completed upper. I plan to get a 16" barrel. And yes, we can have collapsible stocks.

I shot an AR with iron sights and this upper. The position that it was on my shoulder was very awkward. I think it might be due to the fact that the sights were placed so low?
    [​IMG]

This is me holding it...excuse the white chicken legs :o
    [​IMG]

If I get a top with a taller carry handle, would that pretty much fix the problem? But what if I decide to put optics on there, will the optics be placed to high?
    [​IMG]

11. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Also, what is the difference between these type of uppers? Is there any difference aside from the obvious handguard? I kinda like this one:

[​IMG]

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A1 and A2 both have have nonremovable carry handle, A2 is easier to make rear sight adjustments with the knobs, A1 is a bit harder need a tool, some people like the A1 better for irons though. A1/A2 style might be more comfortable for you then to get a good cheek weld, could also try repositioning yourself a bit so your nose is near the charging handle. With an A1/A2 upper you may find it a little uncomfortable with optics being up so high, if optics aren't in the immediate future you could just go with an a1/a2 setup for now and later on down the road buy a second upper.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

freefloat handguards, and the wilson barrel, nice setup if your going to do some long range shooting, not really needed if your just plinking at a couple hundred yards. One thing to consider with this setup is if you want to have iron sights on it a decent set of flip up BUIS is going to run you over $200 for front and rear.

14. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Have someone show you how to sholder an ar

15. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

i went with A2, had some problems with the cheek weld and scopes maxing out on the settings. however i built a 16" so i wasn't worrying about long range too much. i have a red dot on it and it does fine for what i want, but i need to learn how to use the iron sights.

[​IMG]

cost me maybe $650 using all new dpms parts. plus 50 for the stock 8ball sold me.

16. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

17. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Bump for mds

:o

18. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

The mag lock is home made. You get a nut at store sized 10-32. I bought the nut for $0.12. I also bought a scrap cap that works as a washer and cap. All you do is file down the nut or else you can find one that is thin walled. Do not spend your money on one made for you. I gave another set to islanderman and he regrets spending that much money on his kit. Here is the thread I got the parts list and idea from: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=28175

I bought that buttstock from the Equipment exchange on ar15.com. The LMT buffer and spring is just the recoil buffer that i had to buy seperate because it did not come with the buttstock. I bought this brand because it is what my local shop had in stock.

That is the same upper I have, I like it.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Do not bother with the Aimpoint clone, it is a hit or miss. I am just going to buy my back up sights when I can and then buy a real Aimpoint or Eotech. However to answer your question, you can find him on AR15.com as jackie and there are many threads about his clone products. Edit: found the link for this too...I however bought it from his ebay without the buyitnow for a little cheaper. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=318369

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  19. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

thanks!