GUN AR Build v. Parts Kit Wait *PIC*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sgt Pepper, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

[​IMG]

I had a parts kit ordered with blackthorn in January and I later discovered that they were shit, so I canceled and ordered from Del-ton in April.

It's looking like I'll be lucky if I get my parts kit in this year.:wtc: Is there another option? I'm just so fucking sick of waiting.

So far I've got a receiver, 500 rd XM193, 5 Pmags, and of course a magpul trigger guard.

UPDATE: I purchased all of the lower parts and now all I need is an m4gery upper. I should have a complete rifle by next week :x:

Thanks for all of your help WMD :wavey:

UPDATE: I found my upper @ http://www.marksarmory.com/6573.html
    I'll post pics of my build when I get all of my parts in later this week.

:bowdown::bowdown:Thanks to all of the WMDers who helped out:bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

lol at '*PIC*'

better off selling that lower and buying a complete lower

3. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

call M&A parts.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

5. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I remember when this stuff was like $50 :wtc:

Where could I find a decent upper?

I'm looking for a 16" A3 normal profile chrome lined barrel with a chromed bolt assembly

6. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

http://sgcusa.com/AR-15-Components-...4-Complete-Upper-(BA-AP416)/product_info.html

It's not the best price, but it is available and it does have a BCG. It's not chromed though - but I don't know why that would matter. Chroming isn't exactly like FailZero or exoing or anything.

It would not be my first choice, but, it will shoot and shoot straight.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm

Something like this would be my first or second choice, but, then add about another $150 for a bolt carrier group.

I would want an LMT after the BCM....both very good products and so close for most people's purposes that either will suffice.

7. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Thanks for the links :wavey: and I mostly just like the look of a chromed BCG :dunno: although I have heard that it improves reliability and life of the rifle.

8. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

There's so much shit available on gunbroker...

9. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I'm going to go ahead and order the LPK off of aim along with a Magpul CTR stock. They only have the commercial buffer tube style CTR in black. I found a commercial spec buffer tube on Brownells but it's $62.

Anybody know where I can find a commercial buffer tube for less or where I can find a black mil-spec CTR stock?

10. Is that Brownells price with the discount?

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3980510

11. Oh, how about a black mil-spec MOE stock instead of the CTR? All you lose is the friction lock (which is useless IMHO) and the QD mount (which is also pretty useless for most people.) It's also like $40 cheaper.

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/magpul-moe-stock-black-mil-spec-p-1539.html

I've bought stuff from these guys before, and they're usually good with their stock status on their website, but I'd call or email them to check.

EDIT: That MOE stock + the" 6 position mil spec receiver extension complete kit" from PK would be everything you need, and for way less than a CTR and all the parts you need. Below is the link to the page on PK's site where the kit is, I can't link you to a specific product. It's almost halfway down.

http://pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/12/32

12. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Is it just me or does $55 seem a bit high for that buffer tube kit?

Thanks for the tip on the MOE stock

13. Not really. The tubes are expensive (bravo company wants like $36 for the tube, and they're out of stock.) The spring is 4.50, the castle nut is $7 from bravo company. The end plate is $4. That gets you to $51. So you figure the $4 difference is the premium you pay for the whole kit being in stock.

14. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Ok, I just ordered:

1 LPK from AIM
    1 MOE stock from cactus tactical
    1 Buffer tube kit from PK Firearms

$25 shipping FTL

Well, now all I need is an upper...

EDIT: I just keep telling myself that it's only money at least UPS will be really good to me this week :bigthumb:

15. Do you want to assemble the upper, or are you looking for an assembled upper?

16. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I'm cool with assembling my own. I would just need to buy a torque wrench adapter, rent a torque wrench, get an upper receiver vice block, and then probably a set of gauges to check the head space.

I think it would be cheaper to get one that at least has the barrel already attached to the upper.

17. Watch Bravo Company's site, they are showing their partially assembled uppers as in stock every few days. Also, PK has some uppers in stock. What kind of upper do you want? (barrel profile/length, etc...)

18. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I'm looking for a 16" A3 normal profile (not the m4 profile) chrome lined barrel with a chromed bolt assembly.

I could probably live with the m4 profile barrel but I think it looks a bit goofy even though it saves weight.

19. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

That upper looks awesome I'll have to keep an eye on it. The FA bolts are just heavier, right? I really want a chromed bolt group although I don't know how available those are going to be.

EDIT: Brownells has a High Standard BCG in stock for $69 https://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24042&title=Bolt Carrier&s=50695#50695

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  20. The bolt isn't any heavier, it's the carrier that's heavier. The bolts are the same between them. That Brownells piece is just the carrier. You'll need the whole group. I can't comment on the quality of High Standard parts, I don't have any experience with them.

21. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

22. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I hate blue carpet.

23. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I called a local shop and they've got a 16" A3 minus bolt group and charging handle for $500. I guess that's not terrible but I would have to pay $31 in sales tax on it.