GUN AR-15 Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 15, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I know everyone says stick to the ABC's and the R is okay too. What's wrong with Olympic Arms? They seem moderatly priced. Sorry, I can't search:(

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

Oly Arms makes a great rifle, as long as it's not the Plinker. the Plinker used to use an investment cast receiver that could not hold up to the abuse of moderate to heavy usage. this is why the Plinker can be had for almost half the price of the others.

i heard recently that Oly has started to use machined receivers in their Plinker line due to complaints... it would be worth checking out.

besides that, it has been said by many that Oly does not use standardized internals, thus making them harder to upgrade should you be looking for a trigger group or whatnot. then again, Bushmaster also has some non-standard parts... so it's really a moot point in many ways.

like a Glock sackrider, AR fans tend to spew bullshit in all directions to defend their choice in brands... so take a lot of what those "armchair professionals" on AR-15.com and the like have to say with a grain of salt. i personally have shot an Oly arms and found it to be a quite competent rifle. compared to my memories of the M-16A2 and M-4 carbines i used to use while in the service, they field stripped identically, and the receiver internals looked to be the same FWIW.

if you plan to use the rifle for DCM and will be upgrading every single part, you'd be best off going with Colt or Armalite. if not, dont bother.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Makes sense to me. I'm a big fan of their K3B line (http://www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_k3b ). Those prices are obviously MSRP and you can find them cheaper at a local store probably or at various places online. I was really just curious. I shot one the other day when I went and rented a CZ with some friends. One of the guys was only 20 so he got a Bushmaster AR-15. I really enjoyed shooting it and remembered a thread someone had asked about them and thats where I heard the "ABC and R" thing at.

4. soccaian

soccaian New Member

olympic arms make FANTASTIC rifles. they produce some of the best barrels out there, despite them not being chrome lined. my PCR 16 will shoot Sub-moa with normal ammunition (not match ammo). for the price, you should definitely think very hard about OA

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

their uppers are by far the best you can get for the money... they use button rifling extensively in their lineup, resulting in accuracy unmatched by many of the other brands without dipping into the kids' college fund.

as for chrome lining, no need unless you plink with an assload of corrosive ammo.

6. oakie

oakie my ninja.

you can build an Oly Arms AR on their website... with everything, i can build an M-4 carbine for under $700.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i think he was saying he could build an AR in the literal sense of the term "armalite rifle."

8. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i was demonstrating the ability to build one on the Oly site that would present a price that would be tough to beat.

9. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

THis is a good thread, when my wife gets another job I am gonna try to pick one up :big grin: and I wondered the smae thing.. what is wrong with the plinker for just occasional range use.

They have lifetime warrenty

I also have been recommended bushmaster too by a friend with one

10. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

:o

i've got 2 DPMS stripped forged lowers that have been sitting around for a while waiting for some builds. one of them will be an M4gery and sporting a CMMG 14.7" barrel with permanent A2 hider. 16" total. gotta love the 1/7 twist.

the other will be getting a white oak match upper.

yes, both will be way over the price of an oly build.

i had a bushmaster XM-15 carbine and loved it. if i were to go out and purchase another complete AR, i'd definitely go bushy again.

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I'm building a mutt for my midlength. RRA lower, CMT A3 upper, CMMG-made 16" 1/7 Midlength barrel, etc.