GUN AR-15/M4 crew....what is the AR Pistol vs. M4?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kroze, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

Are there any difference between the standard 16" barrel M4 Carbine vs. the AR Pistol other than the no buttstock & shorter barrel?

If there's no difference between the two, what's stopping people from buying the M4 lower receiver, change the buffer & spring & then get the AR Pistol upper to build themself an SBR (Short barrel rifle)?

2. As far as I know, the lower has to be listed as a specific pistol lower. If you buy a standard rifle lower and the completed rifle doesn't meet the minimum length requirement, you are in a lot of trouble.

3. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

So can you use a pistol lower to make a rifle? Are they hard to find? Do you need a tax stamp if you have a pistol lower?

4. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

Once a lower has been registered as a pistol it cannot have a butt stock installed on it as far as I know.

5. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

Also no vertical forward grips either.

6. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

that is correct. a vfg turns it into an "AOW" (any other weapon) and is not legal.:nono:

but i am quite certain that you can turn a registered pistol lower back into a rifle. just not the other way around. :)

if not, then i'm screwed because i sold my pistol upper.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats not true at all. I know of several cases where my local shop used the RRA pistols to build SBRs by simply adding the proper buffer and stock.

It is registered as an SBR of course, but there is nothing keeping you from using a pistol lower to create an SBR.

However, like was said, what keeps people from doing it is the registration process. While a pistol is legal in many places since it has not stock, its not legal to just add a stock to it without registering it as an SBR.

8. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

It never even occured me that this was possible. Or that if I ever needed to I could simply exchange one upper onto another lower and be ready to kill some zombies shorty-style.

[​IMG]