GUN AR 15 for Californians

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twofourtysx, Feb 2, 2006.

1. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

A lot of you have probabally heard about this but for those who havent; for a short amount of time longer (probabally only 1-2 months) you are able to recieve stripped lowers. If you haven't heard about this then search for it, there is plenty out there. Jump on the chance while you can.

2. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

I don't know if its one or or two months.. some say its shorter. Might be longer..

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

From what I heard the list was supposed to be updated mid-February. From what I've heard speculation is that lowers bought before the update will be classified as Assault Weapons, but thats just speculation. It would kind of suck if they were simply banned, or if they just made a lot of new restrictions on the rifles. Thats one of the reasons I havent spent the $200 on one already.

For those interested the following company is supposed to be great to buy from: http://coldwarshooters.com/

4. Furner

Furner New Member

whats the reason this window has opened?

5. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

it wouldnt suck if you owned one of those off-list recievers before the new ban. the new ban will allow you to have the so called "evil features" on your registered reciever. instead of a fixed mag, you can have a detachable magazine.

mid-feb is the speculated date for the update on kasler's list.

the window is open because there is a loophole in the cali legal system. you can buy off-list receivers.

6. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Again, this is just as I understand it, I may be wrong, California classifies certain rifles as assault weapons by name. Many think they do this based on looks but regardless the list contained all of the known manufacturers of AR lowers and other rifles. This list is old and as a result there are new manufacturers of AR lowers not on the list including Ameetec. Word has gotten out that the DOJ is going to update the list and add a bunch onto it in a few weeks.

7. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

So called evil features basically being: removable magazine like you said, flash suppressor, folding or telescoping stock, thumbhole stock, or forward pistol grip right? Kind of sucks to still be limited to 10 round mags. Would have been nice if Vulcan Armament had made a lower similar to their CA legal ones, but that has a 50 round fixed magazine.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  8. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

I would say get it as fast as you can. All the dates people put out are just speculation and have no backbone to them at all.

9. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Shit. I got a double star, someone wanna trade for a mega? :x:

10. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Two of my friends bought some from a guy out on the 30 past Redlands. Both said the place they bought it from seemed "sketchy" hahaha.

I'd buy one, but I already have a lower I need to build an AR on, and I dont wanna spend $200.00 only to have them confiscated, or told I have to sell them out of state or something retarded.

11. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

Did they get them from Cold War Shooters in Highlands?? If so, then these people aren't sketchy at all. In fact they're nothing but great sellers. From all that I've read about the Socal groupbuy's CWS is a great outfit. They've got Megas and Sun Devil's coming in soon

Also anyone who buy's an offlist lower should read Bill Weise's FAQ:
    http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

12. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

yes those evil features are right. but hey, when they ban your off-list receiver, you can have a detachable magazine instead of a godamn fixed magazine. the pain of having a fixed magazine is that you have to take apart your whole AR to reload it (taking off "evil features"), because once you remove the fixed magazine its deemed an "assualt weapon". AW are illegal in cali.

about the 10 round mag, i agree... that does suck. but hey, owning an AR in cali is better than not owning one.

get your lowers ASAP my fellow californians!!!

13. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

i bought mine from coldwarshooters. i believe i may have been on the same group buy as you. :p I also heard our DSC lowers are not that bad. I remeber reading somewhere that DSC is a daughter/sister company of bushmaster or some other well known company. i forget :wtc:

14. 99_civic_ex

99_civic_ex Active Member

those guys are the nicest people i've ever dealt with. nothing seemed sketchy to me

15. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

From what I was told, two women sold to them.

16. 99_civic_ex

from what i understand, the unlisted lowers cannot be banned outright and must be listed by name (thus requiring a 90 day registration window) because of Harrott v. County of Kings

here is a link that'll explain it better:
    http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

17. 99_civic_ex

and the problem with that is? DROSing is DROSing... to me at least.

18. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Yup, I got my Doublestar from the groupbuy from CWS. Great service, I faxed and they call the next day saying it was shipped.

And as far as confescating, Im pretty sure they would not, unless you havnt DROSed your lower before they ban it. Once you DROS your reciever, it is yours even if you do not have it in possession due to the 10 day wait.

And for fixed magazine, you can run all "evil features" with a fixed 10 round magazine, however you can use a 10 round detatchable magazine with no use of the "evil features." Yes that means no pistol grip if you want to use your detachable mag. However, after the ban and we register our lowers as assault weapons, we can use the "evil features" and 10 round detatchable magazines.

This again is if your specific lower was banned.

19. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

I picked up 3 from the group buy over on calguns.net

Here are the answers to some FAQ:
    You can own a receiver because in the case of Harrot v. Kings County the courts ruled that you cannot ban a series of receivers (AR, AK, FAL) you have to ban them by name (Colt AR-15, Fulton Armory FAR-15) so theoretically Bushmaster can make a 'Bushmaster January' and when it gets added to the list, make a 'Bushmaster February', and keep going.

SB23 that took effect 1/1/2000 stated that any center fire semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine could not have any evil features, that's why a mini-14 with a pistol grip is illegal but a regular mini-14 is legal.

If you get one of the receivers and it is NOT a registered Assault Weapon a la SB23 pre-1/1/2000 then you cannot put any of the evil features (Pistol grip including thumbhole stocks, bayonet lug, collapsable stock, granade launcher, flash hider) on it unless you fix the magazine (must be 10 rounds or less) so you need a tool to remove it. I used a #10-32 nut from home depot and made it wrench-tight with some blue lock-tite on the mag release so it's fixed. To load the magazine I pull the rear takedown pin, break open the rifle then load from the top. You don't have to take apart the whole rifle.

Once you DROS the receiver IT IS YOUR'S TO KEEP EVEN IF THEY BAN IT BEFORE YOU PICK IT UP. Note: Not the day you take posession of it, the day your DROS is sent. The only gun confiscation CA has done (recently that I can remember) was the SKS with detachable magazine and that was for a whole different reason, and when that happened, many people had 'boating accidents' where their SKSs were lost at sea.

Assault weapons are not illegal in CA as long as they are registered. If there is another registration window (which looks like it will be within a few months) you can register your new receiver as an AW and evil it all you want, so long as you don't turn it into a short barrel rifle, destructive device, etc. Let's do our part as Californians and piss off Boxer, Perada, and Pelosi. DOJ generally meets on Fridays to decide these things so keep your eyes pealed.

20. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

I did mine up in contra costa county. DS is supost to be good, but i think mega is supost to be even better.

21. kalm823

Isn't it funny that now we WANT the receivers to be put on the list? I actually don't have much of a problem with it not on the list so more Californians can get their AR's. I heard that many family members and friends of DOJ workers want AR's so they're dragging their feet on this issue.

22. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I've read that before, and there was definitely a lot of good information there. I was thinking that it would be possible for the DOJ to essentially get rid of the list entirely and use its contents to create a new banned weapons list, but that would probably take a California Supreme Court decision which would take a lot more effort, but its not entirely impossible.

Does anyone know if an assault rifle such as one of those named already can be altered to fire a .50 caliber round? Say I were to buy a lower, wait for it to be added to the list, then buy the Beowulf .50 upper for it, would that be legal? And if I did do that would I still have to register it as a .50 BMG with the DOJ by April 30th even though my lower is already an assault rifle?

23. 99_civic_ex

i'll trade if you're willing to give me some money ;)

24. 99_civic_ex

that's a good q to ask the folks at calguns. i'd say that yes you can add a .50bmg upper without having to reregister bc it would already be registered as an AW.

25. kalm823

You can turn a currently registered assault weapon pre-2000 into a 50bmg. You can't turn a newly listed receiver into a 50bmg or you would be 'manufactureing' one which is illegal.