GUN ar-15 build

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copiertalk, Sep 22, 2004.

1. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

where do i start?

i can find the parts, the amo, the mags, but what do i want to build?

i want a fire arm that can be upgraded and changed.

this is a build and not a purchase, i dont want to buy the gun whole. reason follows.

i make a finite amount of money, i can buy the receiver this month and the parts kit the next. i might be able to buy the upper over a couple of months but i have bills to pay as well as a wife and kids to feed. i cant afforrd to spend the money on a firearm like this all at once. where do i start and what do i start with?

thanks you for your time!

2. Furner

Furner New Member

I would suggest becoming an active member at http://www.ar15.com

that is the definitive website/forum for ar15's, you can get ANY information you need there.

Nice thing about building an Ar15 is that it is like a payment plan. You can buy parts as you accumulate the money.
    Ar15.com has an equipment exchange, I suggest that oyu use it as most places on there are selling for pennies over cost, and you get the best deal. Unless of course you feel the need to support a local gun shop that may be carrying the parts you need. That is up to you.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

why not just put that money away each month, and save money by buying a complete rifle? if you buy it piece by piece, you end up spending more, because, since you're new to AR's, you don't have the tools or the knowledge to put it together yourself.

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. footratfunkface

ooh, good one. i'm silenced by the sheer brilliance displayed in your post.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=23876322&postcount=24

here, this will explain my position. you CAN go cheaper on parts. you could put together a working AR for less. however, it'll be the most basic, and lowest quality AR you could put together.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You can build your own AR from quality parts for around $600. To assemble a lower you need exactly three tools. The upper he should buy preassembled because it will require tools he won't own.

You can find stripped lowers all day for $90-150.

A lower parts kit from Bushmaster is $65.

An A2 upper should be around $350-400. It could even be cheaper if he wants to buy someone's used post-ban upper as tons of those are being unloaded.

So his total cost would be under $600. Tack on some cost for shipping and he's going to be around $600. FFL and any background check/transfer fees are irrelevant because he would have to pay those anyway on a complete rifle.

Now, I don't think he should go this route for his first rifle. I think he should get a factory rifle from Bushmaster, RRA or Armalite and be done with it. The money he saves will seem like chump change if he has to start heavy trouble shooting if his home built rifle won't run. I have seen too many parted together Franken-rifles die in classes.

Lostintexas,
    Save up your money by putting some aside each month. You won't have a working rifle any sooner if you buy it in pieces and parts. Buy a factory rifle for your first gun and go back later and build something new and fun for your second gun. The AR15.com equipment exchange is a great place for deals on new and used rifles.

7. copiertalk

been there and have been reading. talk about total information overload. thats one of my problems is that there is too much info there. i have read over there about 3 main types of uppers, you mentioned the A2 upper, is this just a personal thing? or is one actually better than another.

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you buy an A3 upper (flattop) you will have to buy an additional rear sighting device. You can get a removable carry handle or a BUIS of some sort but it's going to cost you above and beyond the cost of the rifle.
    If you get an A2 upper the rear sight is built in so there is no additional cost.

That is why I recommended you get an A2 upper.

9. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

how difficult is it to mount optics on an A2 upper? Wouldn't an A3 upper be better for mounting optics since it would sit lower? Please educate me as I'm in the market for an M4.

10. copiertalk

ok, now that i have a few minutes to answer some of your questions :

"why not just save up the money?"

well that one is pretty easy, if i save money it just gets spend by the wife or kids. they either have a date and need $20 or the wife wants the oil changed in her van. or something always comes up. this way if i buy the lower this month, the money is just spent.

"i will have to buy tools to build the rifle was another point made."

so, i will have to buy them eventually any way. this way if i have to buy the tool i never have to buy it again, if something happens and i need the tool. i dont have to search and find one, i already have it.

"this will be my first build, i do not have the knowledge."

i have friends to help and can follow instruction well. if the gun malfunctions i will have built it and will know how it comes apart. it will also help when it is time to take it apart and clean it.

"why not just buy the cheapest one out there?"

because i want a quality firearm made with quality parts. there are probably some cheap guns out there that are well made, but the odds of me getting one is pretty slim for the budget, this way i can purchase the better parts and build a better rifle. this way i get to pick what furniture is on the rifle as well as the accessories for it without buying it twice. example : say i purchase the gun from a gun show for $700 complete. when i get home and study it further i find out i don't like the stock, so i have to research what stock i want and buy another one. by building the rifle, i only have to purchase the stock once.

i came here to ask because i trust the opinion of the people that post in this sub-forum. i can read all day over at ar15.com and get alot of info, but i needed someone to bounce ideas off of and a strait answer.

i hope this clears up why i want to build rather than save and purchase a complete rifle. and thanks for the advise, i look forward to your continued input.

as always thank you for your time

11. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

A3 is better for mounting anything but Lost said he doesn't have a lot of money so the A2 is the cheaper solution.

You can still mount optics on an A1 or A2 upper by the use of a gooseneck mount. It attaches to the top of the carry handle and brings the optics mount down in front where it will "cowitness" with your iron sights.
    My rifle has an ARMS #39 gooseneck mount. Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

If you know you are going to use a heads up optic start with an A3 upper.

12. copiertalk

nice rifle!

i dont have alot of money to go and purchase the whole rifle at one time. thats one of the reasons for the build up.

will the same lower fit both the A2 and A3 upper? i read at ar15 that the A2 and A3 were compatible but the A1(?) may have limitations as to compatibility? i plan to go lower first, parts kit and them start to consider what upper to get. the more i read the more i find out just what you can do/get for one of these firearms. there is just so much to think about.

13. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

:o yes my camera sucks
    [​IMG]

14. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

yes, the same lower will fit both A2 & A3 uppers

15. Furner

Furner New Member

modular > *

16. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Building your AR is the best way to get exactly what you want... and I disagree you wont spend more, you will spend the same or less as buying a complete similarly equipped rifle.

you should start with a lower. I would reccommend a complete lower without the buttstock... reason being is you dont save that much building the lower yourself and you can fuck up. Bushmaster makes good complete lowers. Of you could get an LMT with CAR stock and 5 position tube for $300 if u can find one.

next buy what u need to complete your lower... a stock (unless you buy one with the stock already). If you are going the CAR stock route... do NOT buy a bushmaster or RRA CAR stock. Tehy are not mil spec so you cant get any special stocks lile the Vltor or Crane. Only COlt, LMT and lotr make the mil spec extension tubes.

then buy your upper assembly next... then any accessories you want... rail systems, optics, lights etc.

17. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

[​IMG]

get a flat top upper, unless you NEVER plan on getting optics....

thats mine, built over about a 10 month period

18. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

A3 > A2 :o

19. footratfunkface

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i would go with an A3 upper, to save yourself the future troubles of trying to sell the upper when you end up wanting to use a more versatile system. with a flat-top, you can use a carry handle, you can use a rear sight like mine in the pictures above, you can use a flip-up rear sight, you can use NO rear sight, and you can use every imaginable combination of those rear sights and optics (both magnified and non-magnified optics).

edit: i have no fucking clue why those pictures won't show up. that's odd as hell.