GUN AR-15 Break in period?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hathegkla, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

so I just shot my new AR yesterday and it was jamming like crazy. the rounds weren't fully ejecting. the spent cartridge was getting stuck on top of the next round that was on its way in. its a huge pain in the ass to un jam it too. I was thinking it may have been a bad extractor or weak extractor spring (it looked fine when I took it apart) but I also read a post by a guy on some other forum that had the exact same problem and the a factory tech said that some ar's have a 300-400 round break in period?

if it helps I have a Stag Arms 6LSuper Varminter and I started off shooting some cheap 55gr (not sure the brand) then switched to Black Hills 75gr match. same problem with both.

2. Willie J

Willie J New Member

Barrel wise, Stainless steel barrels have ~200 rd break in. IIRC moly chrome has none. My RRA had a card with it that no break in was necessary

3. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

Sounds like an ammo or magazine problem.

I'd do as the first post says. Mainly clean the piss out of it.

Do the magazines you have feel real tight or loose when loading rounds? How many rounds are you loading into them?

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

You're in California, right? Is your magazine pinned? It might have something to do with where it's seated.

5. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

its got a bullet button so its probably not that. I have 3 mags and 2 of them did the same thing. however I do think it could be a problem with the mag so I'm going to order a higher quality mag. also the black hills ammo is supposed to be pretty nice but it is kinda dirty.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

What kind of magazine were you using?

A cheaper mag isn't really cheaper when you end up buying a good mag to replace it. And in any case, with Pmags starting at $13 something, there's no excuse to buy crappy mags. I know folks on calguns have done modding to install 10rd limiters, etc

7. itchiban

itchiban New Member

A friend had this same problem recently on his newly aquired Colt Sporter. It was his mags. He had two that did the same thing, I let him use some of my newer mags and problem solved. Altough it seemed to do this with any mag on the first round if it was loaded with 30.

8. Aequitas

How inexpensive can a cheap mag really be? C Products mags are around $10.

9. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

man I've seen some shitty mags in my days. Or just ones that can't handle a full load in them. Most all my jams came from two things either the ammo or the mags. Break in period on a AR-15 doesn't really make much sense to me. :dunno:

I've got two friends that bought S&W ARs recently not one single problem other then one bought Wolf and we know how that ammo is. :o

10. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

anyone got any mag recommendations? I'd prefer a true 10rd rather than a 10/30 because I have a short bipod and a long mag will hit the bench/ground. I could do a 10/20 however.

11. Aequitas

12. itchiban

itchiban New Member

My pieced-together RRA has had thousands (countless really) of rounds through it with at least 2000 of that being Wolf. Not one jam, FTE, FTF, etc. The one time I did have an issue, a friend eased the charging handle down instead of letting it drop. It didn't chamber the round all the way and it fired out of battery. Only thing that happened was a ruptured case. Pulled it out with my leatherman and on we went. :bigthumb:

13. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

cool, well I just ordered one, hopefully it'll come before the weekend and I can take it to the range on sunday. fuck I got 2 of these shitty mags with my rifle at least one is still in the package, if it turns out to be a mag issue at least I can return one of em. funny thing is they look really nice, but the fit could be off by just enough :dunno:

14. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

Maybe I missed it or something but in those new mags you got how many rounds are you loading?

15. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

10 :o

16. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

Really the first time we took his out it was jam after jam with Wolf. We ended up throwing some Winchester White Box ammo in and problem solved.

17. Aequitas

I've shot Wolf with my AR, it seemed to only jam or give me problems when it was running hot. If it was cool it was fine. Definitely my last choice of ammo, though.

18. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

sounds weird... but when I was in and had new mags come in we'd load them fully then pull all the rounds back out. We'd do this a couple of times.

then only load them full minus 1 (ie. 29 rounds)

We mostly did this to make it easier to load past 25 faster. It always seemed to loosen the spring up a bit.

Might wanna give that a try along with a good cleaning. :o

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

does magpul even make a 10 round pmag?

20. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

:werd:

21. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

:uh::uh::uh::uh::uh::uh::uh::uh::uh::uh::uh:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk! so I ordered that mag you recommended :uh: then I went home and realized its the same brand I already have :o

they look like really good quality mags so idk, maybe its not the mag then. I guess another mag really can't hurt. I can always keep it on the bench behind the line and reload durring cease fire :dunno: I'll have 4 mags total now :rofl:

22. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

the mags are brand new so I don't think they are dirty (they look clean to me)
    I don't know if its the springs though. they are a little stiff but that seems like if anything it would help the problem. it seems like the round can be chambered no problem, its just that the old casing gets stuck in the gun.

could a stiffer extractor spring work? maybe use the o-ring method? I'd hate to have to mod this gun, its brand new with a lifetime warranty. I'm gonna wait for the tech to call me back I guess.

23. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Try a different bolt carrier

24. Aequitas

You can never have too many mags. What type of followers are in the ones you have?

25. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

You should have lubed your rifle before you shot it. Rifles come from the factory with lube just to keep rust off. lube all parts included your buffer. You're most likely short-stroking which is most likely a dry buffer situation.

and if your AR won't eat Wolf then you have a POS. get rid of it. I don't care who made the rifle.