"aquiring network address" prob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mtlslapshot, Dec 8, 2005.

1. mtlslapshot

mtlslapshot New Member

hey...my wireless inmternet on my laptop as been working fine for the past month since i got it, but now today, i come home from school and see that it says "limited or no connectivity" or something. so i try to repair it and then everytime i do this it just says "aquiring network address" for like a minuite and goes back to the limited/no connectivity again. ive tried restarting eevrything and disconnecting/reconnecting to my network and nothing works. can i get some help here?

oh yeah...my parents' wireless internet is working fine and we're on the same exact net work...whats going on?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I usually get this error when my router locks up. Power-cycling the router fixes it.

What IP address do you have when you get this error? If it is 169.254.xxx.xxx, that means that DHCP wasn't able to give you an IP address.

Try a manaul release and renew of the address.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

you said 'restarted everything' but did you restart the wireless router?

also, if you did that already/it didnt work, try reinstalling the wifi card drivers on your laptop.

then again... stupid question... are you sure you're in range of the wifi signal? try it sitting right next to the wifi router just to be no structural elements of the house are getting in the way.

edit... cmsurfer beat me to it... and explain it better.... just ignore me.

4. mtlslapshot

mtlslapshot New Member

yeah i restarted to router but it still does the same thing. i had it set to "optain ip address automatically" and now its not working for some reason. i dont know what release and renew is so can u explain it.

5. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

go to run and type in cmd
    type in ipconfig /release
    after thats done type in ipconfig /renew

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Release and renew is what the repair button does, but I said to try it manually to see what it is doing.

Go to Start -> Run -> type 'cmd' (no quotes)

Type ipconfig and see what your IP address is. It should be in the same subnet as the IP of the router (ex: 192.168.1.xxx)

If the current IP is 169.254.xxx.xxx like I said above, your connection issue is related to DHCP. That's the address you get when DHCP fails to give you one.

ipconfig / release - lets go of your IP address
    ipconfig /renew - gets you a new IP address.

Do you know how to log into your router? You may want to double check your DHCP settings.

Since you are on wireless, you may want to delete the connection from your machine and re-create it.

7. mtlslapshot

mtlslapshot New Member

ok did the relaese/renew and the ip and subnet just had all zeros..which is obviously the problem...the optaing automatically thing isnt working so can someone just give me an ip address so i can get on the internet.?

8. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Thanks Microsoft. Limited or No Connectivity didn't exist until SP2.

Usually, I just shut everything (laptop, modem, router) down and power cycle those. Generally once or twice will take care of it. If not, release/renew most of the time gets it. Worst I've had was having to reset to factory defaults on the router, reinstall wireless drivers, and basically start from nothing.

9. mtlslapshot

mtlslapshot New Member

wowo this is useless...i restart everything and its not working...and now i have to have this computer guy come to my house who charges a lot and have him fix it...im pissed off...i just got my laptop a month ago.

10. chips

chips ...

Reinstall your network drivers, all 0s is a tel tel sign the drivers have gone bad.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I worked on a machine once that had the limited or no connectivity error, and it drove me crazy for over a week. I ended up un-installing SP2 and then re-installing it.