MIL Approved for OCS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by burn__, Apr 28, 2009.

1. burn__

burn__ New Member

Had my interview this morning and everything I was worried about never even came up.

Swear in on Friday. :bigthumb:

A little over a year later and its almost done. lol

2. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Congrats

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Outstanding. :bigthumb:

4. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Congrats!

5. burn__

burn__ New Member

Thanks!

Still pretty excited to find out when I'll be shipping.

6. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Grats

What kind of questions did they ask you? And what were the questions you were worried about :noes:

7. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

kiss my ass! sir!

congrats ;)

8. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

which branch? i just graduated navy OCS this past march.

btw, congrats!

9. Phionoxx

Phionoxx OT Supporter

congrats man!

10. burn__

burn__ New Member

I had to get a waiver for a Minor Consumption charge i got when i was 19 (im 24 now). I had a $300 fine and any charges equaling $300 or more for OCS applicants had to get a waiver. So i was expecting a long grill session about that topic.

but they pretty much just asked me about my degree, why i was going for a masters, if i ever held a management position, what happens if i dont get my #1 pick (infantry), things like that. They said my GPA was outstanding (3.92) and my PFT score was a lot better than most civilians they interview (247). The 3 guys ahead of me were in the interview for a loooong time and mine was maybe 10 minutes tops :mamoru:

its not disrespectful as long as you say sir at the end, thats how i see it. :rofl:

This is for Army. How hard was your OCS?

11. Off

Off Memento Mori

Infantry Officer :cool:

Good luck dude

12. JSin

JSin New Member

Work your ass off and you will get infantry, Army OCS is now OML based for branches for college ops (which I assume you are).

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

congrats. I did that process back in september 2004..commissioned in september 2005

from what I hear about OCS now, it is not overly difficult to pass. Just dont have your head up your ass and learn as much as you can. Befriend some of the non shitbag prior service dudes that can show you the ropes

goodluck :cool:

14. burn__

burn__ New Member

I'm nervous about it, but I'm actually glad I go through regular basic training beforehand so I'm not blindsided right away at OCS.

I was talking to a new LT yesterday morning (commissioned 5 days ago or so) and he said that as long as i stomp the first OCS pft and continue to show improvement that getting a first choice is possible. From what everyone has been telling me, not many people choose infantry so i just have to show why i deserve it :)

15. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

It SUCKED ASS:hs:

Not sure about army OCS but we had marine DI's running the thing and they made our lives miserable to the max.

we had a lot of people that DOR or rolled in my class but im sure you'll do fine. Just keep your head up and know why you're there.:bigthumb:

16. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

GL Man.

I'm headed to Quantico this summer for USMC Platoon Leaders Combined Class, same as OCS just a fancy name for people still in college.

What does your PFT consist of out of curiosity?

17. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Congrats on getting selected. I graduated Army OCS about 3 years ago, right after they started making changes to the program. Prepare to absolutely hate basic training. The training isnt bad, its more the imature people youll be surrounded by. OCS isnt difficult, just keep up your PT and pay attention to all the classes. The bullshit games are what makes it a pain in the ass. You will find it about a 50/50 mix of prior service and college-op. In general the priors are good to learn from but beware, some of them are fucked up too. Most people that didnt graduate with us was due to injury. As far as branches go, its needs of the Army and it doesnt matter if your the most high speed candidate or a total shitbag at OCS when it comes to branches. The good news is, you can trade your branch assignment as long as your do it early on. Infantry shouldnt be hard to trade for.....there will no doubt be plenty of guys that want to get as far from it as possible. When I was there the toughest branch to get was actually MI (everyone wants MI). If you absolutely cant trade for Infantry, try to get FA or AR. When deployed they all pretty much do the same thing as Infantry anyways. PM me if you have any questions about any of the training your about to start.

18. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Branch selection is now based of OML and candidates can no longer trade.

19. snoodles

snoodles New Member

congrats!

zee, hope you're going first inc, weather is so much nicer. then again, you're from texas too, so the temp/humidity shouldn't be a problem.

20. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Good change. Im sure this will make a lot more sense.

21. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

I'll be there for both increments.

10 weeks May 28th through Aug 8th.

22. snoodles

snoodles New Member

ah, my bad zee. i misread you saying you were doing the combined. i did PLC jr/sr and was stuck with 2nd inc. both times. loved running SULE-II on a black flag day with a squad leader saying we couldn't fill up our empty canteens because it would take too much time (had 3 candidates in the go down as heat cases as a result) :ugh:

23. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Congrats man, thats awesome.

24. burn__

burn__ New Member

Just got back from meps. Swore in and signed my contracts. I ship to Ft. Knox (bleh) on July 8th then to Benning for OCS.

RecklessYouth, how long into OCS did you get your branch assignments or was it right away?

Zee, the PFT was just 2min of pushups, 2min of situps, and a 2 mile run. http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...hysical_training/apft-calculator-online.shtml

I know basic is going to suck from the amount of young kids that will be there. Half of my swear-in group were about 18-19yrs old and couldnt stop giggling (for no reason) and spinning around in circles while we were suppose to be at parade rest. :ugh:

25. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Be happy, you shouldn't have any split ops in your company