Apply by hand or PC?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Joetabasco, May 23, 2005.

1. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

I am a guy on a VERY tight budget. It has taken me almost 3 months just to get the basics for paint care for the car. The paint has a decent finish, but it also has many scratches both fine and NOT so fine!:squint:
    I have read about the Meguiars DACP and it says "for machine use only" can i use it by hand or should I look for another product?
    I cant afford the PC7424 for some time as its $240+ in canada. Will i get the same quality job doing it by hand? I think i may end up buying almost as much as the PC in towels!

I am new to this but am VERY picky and want to do the best job(as everyone does)possible.

p.s. and yes i have read the stickies like 30 times!

2. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

DACP is definately MACHINE USE ONLY. You can't build up enough heat by hand to break it down... so you won't be very effective, and you might marr it when removing the product.

Where are you in Canada? I'm in London and I have a PC...

3. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

london would be about a 4 hour drive or so. I am in Kingston about 3 hours the other side of Toronto.
    I guess its just the hand application for a while as I am absolutely broke!

I will have to find something similar around here to do the trick.

4. Ballast

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Mike Phillips of Meguiars would probably have to disagree with that since I proved to him in person I can use DACP by hand and generate more than enough heat to break it down without marring.

The swirl removal product sticky will tell you how. Make sure you refold to a clean side for every section with DACP and work no more than a 2' x 2' area at a time. You can do it but be prepared for a real workout.

6. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

well, everyone involved here has given me something to think about. I will make sure to post pics after i finally get around to going over the whole car from scratch!

Thanks all!

7. Ballast

Many apologies Jedi Master Scottwax.

why is it that I'm sure everyone has always said to only use DACP by machine?

You're not looking for a padewan are you?

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

For quite some time, DACP was Meguiars most aggressive polish that said on the bottle it was for hand or machine use. The problem is most people don't work it until it clears out and dusts slightly by hand because it takes some effort. Too many people believe hand application means wipe on, wipe off. That just isn't the case with polishes.

If you don't mind working all day when it is around 100 degrees, c'mon down! :wavey: