AppleTV has a better GPU than minis and macbooks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ady, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ady

ady New Member

lol :hs:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2395

This could be a good sign for future macbooks and minis (chip discounts for bulk), but I'd expect them to move to the X3000 if it's any good rather than a dedicated card.

2. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

3. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

Which now makes it even weirder that the Apple TV only support 720p. My Intel Mac mini plays H.264 1080p clips flawlessly with the integrated graphics card. If this video card is more capable, it should be able to as well. Unless the processor is so shitty that it's the bottleneck.

4. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I think the processor is just a Pentium-M 1.0 GHz.

5. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

underclocked with a 350MHz FSB, at that.

6. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

Ouch. way to go Apple. Build a subpar product that is crippled out the door. I guess I am stuck with my MCE 2005 Media Center PC until Apple gets its head out of its ass and created a real media center pc.

7. Tvan

Tvan New Member

The appleTV isn't a PC, it's a media extender. :hsugh:

8. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

Semantics. When Jobs first announced it, it looked like it was going to be a full-fledged media center pc. In reality, it's a crippled iTunes Slingbox. It's subpar product, with no real value. Hopefully this failed attempt will not prevent them from creating a real media center pc.

9. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Just because it can't play 1080? Or, are you being a troll...

10. Gai

Gai New Member

I would think it's just because Apple sets the bar so high, most people including myself were expecting something a bit more than what was shown. The iPhone announcement didn't help in making it look quite lackluster.

11. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i must say, i was rather disappointed with the keynote. last year they announced the switch to intel, and a few other things if i remember correctly. now, woooohooooo iPhone, oh wait, it comes out in 6 months :ugh:, yay, an ipod you can plug into your tv :ugh:. i wanted a mac mini upgrade, or at least leopard or something. it was basically 2 hours of talking about something thats comming out in half a year. :(

anyways, AppleTV will sell. lots of people use iTunes, lots of people will see this as the perfect addition to their living room. for only 300 dollars its a steal for a lot of people that wouldnt otherwise get a media center pc, even though thats not what this really is.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No, he's not being a troll. The AppleTV is not a Media PC. Thus it has no value for anyone not already buying movies off iTunes. Its not a great product. Its certainly not the best Apple could do, and it certainly doesn't compete with Media Center... because its not a Media PC.

If you use iTunes to buy movies alot... value. Otherwise... crap.

13. johan

johan Active Member

One thing that encourages me is the rate at which Apple pushes out revised hardware these days.
    Appletv might suck, for now, but v2 could be very different.