AppleTV connecting to a server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Apr 1, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I think I'm about to go buy an AppleTV, but I don't know if I should get the 40 or 160 GB model. If I can connect to my server with all of my movies, then I'll get the 40, but if I can't do that, then I'll get the 160. I'm running mtdaap on my server so it can serve to iTunes, but I don't know about videos. Anyone have any experience with it?

2. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I would be curious to know this also. I'm curious about the quality of these as a media extender.

3. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

this is the best answer I can give.

I have an apple TV 160 with about 7 seasons of TV shows on the Apple TV drive +20GB of music and other stuff. I have about 83Gigs of movies on an external drive connected to my Mac. All the movies are catalogued on iTunes itself. I think as long as they're on iTunes you'll be fine, but you always get better performance if the your media is on the local (Apple TV) drive.

4. hurleyint1386

So I can load my powermac with movies and stream them to apple tv. I guess that works for me

5. hurleyint1386

I was wondering... what's the USB port used for?

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

Diagnostics, thought there have been callings for apple to allow people to install external USB drives.

7. hurleyint1386

I hope so. Although I wish it was FireWire instead

8. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I'm having my first experience with AppleTV right now, but don't you have to go through the whole "convert for use with AppleTV" process every time you bring a new video into iTunes? Seems like an enormous pain in the ass, particularly since it's not a very quick process.

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

so all 7 people in the world with FW800 drives can take advantage of the additional speed.

I wish FW800 had become more common on external drives. Now that eSATA is getting more play, I think FW is just going to die even faster than it already has been.

10. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

the best thing to do is use handbrake to convert movies. its a pain in the ass, I know, but thats the way I've done all my movies. I usually use normal settings, but I up the bit rate to 1800kbps and set it to "2 pass" with turbo "1st pass". but everyone has their own setting or use the default Apple TV settings. It all depends on how much drive space/quality you want.