Apple's Free wheeling Activation Free Software Days Comming To An End?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OakleyTodd, Dec 21, 2007.

1. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Looks like they are exploring it with a patent. Its true, as Apple get's more and more popular, they are starting to become just like every other computer company. If I was a dedicated MAC user, I think I would want their popularity to die back down, and stay like they are now.

patent application #20070288886, deals with attempts to fight software piracy. A digital rights management system permits an application owner to cause code to be injected into the application's run-time instruction stream so as to restrict execution of that application to specific hardware platforms. In a first phase, an authorizing entity (e.g., an application owner or platform manufacturer) authorizes one or more applications to execute on a given hardware platform. Later, during application run-time, code is injected that performs periodic checks are made to determine if the application continues to run on the previously authorized hardware platform. If a periodic check fails, at least part of the application's execution string is terminated--effectively rendering the application non-usable. The periodic check is transparent to the user and difficult to circumvent.

BTW, this is not a post to hit the MAC guys, just to show that maybe Apple's growing popularity may not be a good thing.

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Sounds like it might just be to keep Mac OS X from running on PC hardware. Whatever they do now isn't enough, apparently it's quite easy to build a "Hackintosh" out of a generic PC.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Apple has tons of other patents for similar technology. No indication they will ever use it but they could.

4. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

pssst, Mac isn't an acronym.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

And so what? Their product, their license, their I.P., their rules. Don't like it, don't use it. I'm failing to see the problem. We have software, and take steps to ensure it can't be pirated.

6. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

This also could be used for allowing 3rd party apps on the iphone..... thatd be my guess

7. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

Yeah, I know a couple of people that have built one. Not hard at all.... :hs:

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i thought it was My Apple Computerates :dunno: