Apple's "Custom" A4 Processor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cthalupa, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/apples-a4-is-an-arm-based-system-on-a-chip-a-la-tegra-2/#comments

There was a lot of speculation about how it was probably a special 64 bit PA Semi PA6T based processor. It isn't.

It isn't particularly "custom" either.

It's a Cortex A9 and a Mali GPU. Compare it with the Tegra 2, which contains dual Cortex A9s, and their custom GPU.

Snapdragon is based off of the Scorpion, which is basically a Cortex A8, with an AMD Z430 GPU.

So, people yesterday were talking about how the chip is going to "scream", dominate benchmarks, etc. Well, not quite.

It will edge out Snapdragon and it's older Cortex A8 based architecture, but will be roundly beaten by the Tegra2, which contains more than double the power.

2. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I think it was incredibly silly for anyone to have thought they were building a processor with the POWER architecture. I mean if their iphone uses ARM, and their computers use x86 and snow leopard ditched POWER support, what made people honestly think they would revert back to POWER and make their newly built software library completely useless :rofl:

It was even more absurd to think that after we saw the press conference and saw it ran iphone os and iphone apps. If it wasn't ARM based it wouldn't be running those iphone apps :mamoru:

I think the only reason they bought P.A. Semi was to cut overhead mostly

3. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I got into a fight with someone in the keynote thread who was CONVINCED it was a magical PA6T successor in it :mamoru: