Apple's Cocoa development

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Jun 6, 2004.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

There's an interface builder, and the coding. They've seemed to separate the two. I started to look at the interface builder first.

Too bad I only had 45 minutes to look at this today.
    [​IMG]

Controls that you may add to the form / window.
    [​IMG]

Quick preview :o
    [​IMG]

Man.. I need an Apple machine at home. :-/

2. linuxkoder

linuxkoder i kan kode...

looks :cool:

i've been looking into developing for os x but all this cocoa, objective C is confusing, i dont know what to learn first :dunno:

3. dmora

dmora Guest

4. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I need an Apple machine at home. I don't think I should dive in so quickly before really understanding how the OS works. Although, everything is pretty straight forward. A lot of this OS' behavior is very similar to Linux. Well, if an extremely polished version of Linux. Too much of this system though, is hidden from the user.

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Cocoa > *

:bowdown:

OS X is based on a flavor of Unix, kinda like Linux is based on Unix. :) Nothing is really hidden - just open Terminal.app :big grin:

6. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

You are far away from Bills nuts. :eek3:

7. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I know this, but I was just stating how it felt Linux like sometimes. Example: When I drop in a CD, I noticed an icon appearing on the desktop for that CD.

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I just need to explore other technology so that I can see how great Microsoft is. ;)

Actually, I'm always looking for something new. This seems pretty cool, but I would definitely need a new Mac for home use. The one at work is strictly for work, and any "fooling" around I do is after work hours or on the weekend.

9. Phreck

Phreck Apple Crew Horra!

I think Linux actually got the CD thing from Apple originally. Ever since I can remember, in a Macintosh OS, if you put a CD or other media in, it always showed up on the desktop.

10. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Oh, ok.

The GUI elements that are similar are merely coincidences - the window manager i used on Debian (Windowmaker) didn't have anything on the desktop.

11. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Microsoft should steal/borrow that idea.

12. Phreck

Phreck Apple Crew Horra!

But they left that out on purpose so people couldn't say they stole the whole look/feel from Apple! :eek3:

:o

13. Icedog

Icedog New Member

If memory serves right, OS X is based off of FreeBSD 5... but I could be wrong.

14. Phreck

Phreck Apple Crew Horra!

Not sure of the version number, but yes it is based off FreeBSD, or at least some version of BSD.

15. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Found it
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/
    Also, gotta love this...

16. Phreck

Phreck Apple Crew Horra!

:coold: Yes, I loved Mac OS X. Unfortunetly running it on a 400mhz G4 wasn't that fun, so I ditched it for a PC. I wouldn't mind a G5 though. :o

17. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I wonder what the realistic requirements are to run 10.3

18. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I always liked the fact that Macs did that. Confused the hell out of me when I first used Windows and it didn't. :o

19. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Yeah, it's nice that Apple included basic dev tools with OS X. :cool: Too bad you have to do it in ObjC. :hs:

20. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Mac OS X is GUI UNIX done right. :cool: Linux ain't shit.

21. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I wish MS would include basic dev tools with Windows.

22. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I run 10.3 on my iBook G3 800 and it seems to run better than 10.2 did. I guess they did some optimization to the code of the os or something because it feels significantly faster.

Cocoa Applications can be, if memory serves me, written in Objective-C, Java, or AppleScript. Everything you need for development from the IDE to the compiler are included on a third disc of the OS called Developer Tools. If you've bootlegged your version of OS X, Apple makes them free to download from http://developer.apple.com

I've played around with it and made some simple AppleScript based Cocoa apps. I really would love to have the time to lear something like Objective-C; but alas work gets in the way (and now Full Spectrum Warrior is getting in the way).

I think it's cool VB that you've started to play around with it, from what I hear Interface Builder + Xcode lead to a pretty fast development enviroment; I'd love to hear what you think about it. Remember to read the HIG or catch shit from any Apple user that tries your program.

23. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

You don't need to use objective C, AppleScript works for basic apps (things like GUI frontends to command-line apps like MissingMediaBurner were written with applescript).

http://www.apple.com/applescript/studio/

24. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

:cool:

I've almost hit this "ceiling" on my current projects. My Diabetes app is done. My cookies site is done. I'm sure I'll make some tweaks and changes, but the hard work is out of the way. As far as the interface builder. It's great. I was just playing around with it today, and it's very nice. My goal would be to make something like this:

[​IMG]

On the mac..

The thing that made me laugh is that I would be able to use real aqua buttons. :o I also noticed today that the Mac has an ODBC panel, which allows you to use a database. I wonder what kind of databases you can use on an OS X machine...

I need to eventually buy a cheap emac (preferably with at least 256 MB RAM) and have it here at home. I'm not going to get anywhere if I can only use the machine at work during my lunch break or after hours.

25. linuxkoder

linuxkoder i kan kode...

i have a 900Mhz G3 iBook and 10.3 runs very smooth

i also have 640mb of memory too :bigthumb: