AppleCare...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asiandoood, Jul 9, 2005.

1. asiandoood

asiandoood New Member

Anyone use Applecare? An Applecare rep just called me yesterday wanting to know if I want to enroll in the service since my G5's one year warranty is up. This was all new to me. They didn't call me 5 years ago for my G4 Ti Powerbook.

I told them I didn't need it at the time and I trust my Apple G5 will give me 5 years of great use without problems like my Powerbook did. The rep was dumbfounded...said "ok...uhh..ok..thanks..." :mamoru:

2. JustSurvive

JustSurvive New Member

If you have the money there's no reason why you shouldn't, it's the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

While it says something about the quality of apple by you making that comment, you probably also came off as a little rude to the rep. I have applecare on my powerbook, but I got a great deal and paid only $100. Like the guy above me said, if you can afford it and expect to have the computer for a few years, I think it is a smart idea. Even Lexus' have problems. They are one of the most reliable cars made, but you don't see Lexus stripping the warranty of their cars.

4. asiandoood

asiandoood New Member

I wasn't trying to come off rude. He asked me a few questions and that was one of my answers. This rep sounded like an amateur too. The whole time I thought my friend was playing a prank on me. I had to actually call back the number to make sure it was really an Applecare service number. This rep called my number about 3-4 times that day.

5. inamorata

inamorata New Member

compusa care (TAP) > applecare
    because you can abuse it like a redheaded stepchild plus it has screen coverage, applecare doesnt

applecare is better than TAP in one area, they use ONLY apple products
    for example, i just got a replacement battery and its a third party :weak:

BUUUUUT i did get to keep my old one;)

this info prob mean nothing to you tho :sad2:

6. asiandoood

asiandoood New Member

well...original question was to find out if anyone else here uses the Applecare program.

7. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

I say go for it. i have an 867GHz 12" PB and the optical drive died after a 2.5 years of use. replaced no problem

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

true, on laptops TAP is arguably a better way to go, but you have to keep in mind that if you are a student, or eligible for some other discount direct from apple, these savings are not applicable buying through compusa, which makes it dumb to buy a desktop through them (since warranty differences like screen protection are also negated).

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

by the way, having worked at a compusa for close to a year, a word of advice... if you ever want the straight dope on what warranty plans ACTUALLY cover, go to tech services when they're not busy and ask one of the service writers about their plans. Salespeople will lie through their fucking teeth to close a deal sometimes, and the tech service people HATE them for it.

So when customers come up to get a straight answer on warranty stuff, the tech shop will always give them the accurate answer, because it makes their lives easier. Nothing's more frustrating to a service writer / technician than an irate customer who just broke x or y on their machine, which isn't covered by their warranty even though the salesman told them it was :mad: it makes the tech shop look like shit even though they had nothing to do with the problem, they just get dumped on by a pissed-off customer.