AppleCare: Has anybody used it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Nov 28, 2006.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

So, my brand new MBP c2d is having issues with the superdrive. It won't read any discs and makes really funny noises when trying to spin up DVD's. I bought the AppleCare warranty and was wondering how fast they are if I ship it back to them. I took it down to the local Apple store here and the guy basically told me that I needed an appointment (lame) and that they would probably just ship it back to Apple anyways. So is Apple pretty quick about replacing parts?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

shipping out my macbook today, would have brought it into the apple store, but i couldn't reproduce the flickering pixels, they just randomly happen

applecare kinda sucks, spent 2 hours on the phone. they told me it might be a software issue. then finally someone else said, this can't be software related, after i told them that my ubuntu linux livecd produced the same results

they are sending me out a box today and said they would keep it for like 5 days, so that means i will probably get it back just before xmas

3. SLED

ugh, maybe i'll wait until after the holidays. I need my mac for several things on a daily basis. I guess I can just use my external DVD burner for the time being.

4. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I've used applecare on my ipod (got extra cables) but I haven't (and probably won't) on either my iMac G5 or my macbook

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

my girlfriend has to ship her ibook in, was about 7 day turn around...
    at work i had to replace a dvd burner in my Quad G5, they sent a tech out next day to replace it at work since i couldn't send it in (i couldn't be at work without a computer for a week...hell no)

applecare has been good to me.

6. SLED

Did you have to buy extra coverage for the business/work replacement?

7. californication

californication New Member

my power adaptor had connection issues(due to excessive use) with my powerbook G4, and they replaced it for free under my applecare plan, no hassles at all :bigthumb:

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I work for Applecare. Turn around is generally 7-10 days + shipping. Shipping is generally overnight. Plus the day or two for you to receipt the box to ship in. So you are looking at ~ 2 weeks possibly. If you can do it before christmas i highly recommend it. The first few weeks after christmas are very busy, so you'll likely be waiting on the phone for a while.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

too bad apple doesn't do advance replacement

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

nope, just normal apple care...
    not even the pro care service

11. SLED

:cool: good to know. Or maybe i'll wait until mid Jan. I have a usb dvd drive i can use in the mean time.

Still pisses me off tho. This this is literally brand new

12. slfmade

slfmade New Member

been using macs for 10+ years, always had applecare, have used it on a couple of occassions. when i got my mbp i did not think twice about whether or not i needed it. when you are spending this kind of money a warranty of sorts should not be a question at all.

13. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

if it is less than a month old, they can send you a replacement if you ask for it.

14. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

I would jump on it, its nice to have it as a backup, 2 extra years. Its expensive as hell for mac book pros though. To bad it doesnt cover the battery.

:noes: i posted something like this one another forum when I worked for apple a few months ago(quit a while back). I got bitched at hardcore:mamoru: after someone that also worked there must have sent something to higher ups. Non-disclosure agreements pwn

15. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

ive had 2 battery replacements on my pbg4, my dad has had 3 MB replacements.... no issues at all... we have a local service center that normally gets parts next day from mtl. longest my dad has been without his laptop is 4 days

16. SLED

So after talking to a appleCare for an hour, and then then some engineering dept. up on Canaduh, they are replacing my MBP. Shitty that they want my system FIRST, before sending out the new one. So I gotta back all my shit up, and probably won't have a laptop for 2 weeks :greddy: